Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Discovery Collector 9.0.2 - Harvester

Created: 17 Jan 2012 • Updated: 04 Apr 2012 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I was running a "Full" harvest and this job had completed 98% in almost a 3 day period. However it would never finalize the remaining 2%. I stopped the tasks and tried to rerun the harvest process to complete the remaining 2%, however the "Harvest" process does not advance at all.

Has anyone seen this before? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Dennis

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

TonySterling's picture

Hi Dennis,

What is your setup?  (Stand-alone, 3 node, etc..)  How big is the Target data source?

What is the memory utilization?

What are you using for the NFS Export Locations?

Regards,

Evault Professional's picture

Hi Tony,

 It is a standalone EVDC node. Target data source 415 GB. It had about 6 GB of FREE memory when it had completed 98%. We are not exporting anything with Discovery Collector. This is only being used to Harvest data and to copy it over to an Evault archive. The drives that hold the data for harvesting purposes are SCSI drives.

 I started a second harvest today to see if there was a problem with the application or just with the above particular harvest. Although this second one started 4 hours after the job metioned above that had completed 98% yesterday; it is already showing an Estimated Volume size and 6% completed. While the job that ran up to 98% is still "Estimating" the volume size after restarting the job again; it is currently still showing 0% completion after running for almost 7 hours even if "Total objects processed" continues to increase.

 Target data source on this second harvest job is 430 GB.

The only difference I see in regards to the source data is listed below. I'm not sure if EVDC does something internally and has a conflict:

Scenario:

The source volume for the harvest that completed about 98% was named "A". However a couple of weeks ago we also completed a harvest for a another source volume with different data on a different drive that was also named "A".

 The Source Volume harvest/copy completed a couple of weeks ago had already been purged from "EVDC" data sources after both the harvest and copy were done.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

D

Dennis
STS Symantec Enterprise Vault 2007, 8.0, 9.0 and 10.0 for Exchange, Netbackup 7.0 for Windows and Symantec Data Loss Prevention 11.0 
SSE/SSE+ Symantec Clearwell eDiscovery Platform and Symantec Data Loss Prevention 11.

TonySterling's picture

Since you restarted the job EVDC is trying to calculate what it had already processed and what is left, that would explain the "estimating".

Honestly, you might have to open a case with support to get them to look at the performance logs.

SOLUTION
Evault Professional's picture

Thanks Tony!

 Like you said...it seems to be making progress but it still shows an "Estimating" status. The other Harvest is 40% complete. It may be a matter of giving it more time, but i still opened a support case just to make sure.

Thanks again for your help!

Best Regards,

Dennis

Dennis
STS Symantec Enterprise Vault 2007, 8.0, 9.0 and 10.0 for Exchange, Netbackup 7.0 for Windows and Symantec Data Loss Prevention 11.0 
SSE/SSE+ Symantec Clearwell eDiscovery Platform and Symantec Data Loss Prevention 11.