Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Disk base storage issue in Backup Exec 2012 SP1a

Created: 17 Jul 2012 • Updated: 19 Jul 2012 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Backup Exec server have C: , D: and E: . I use E: to create disk-based storage.  I can use disk-base storage for backup for a while. But the status of this disk based storage sometimes become offline, cause backup job failed. After I change disk-base storage, the backup job resumed to normal. I do not know why disk base storage become offline.

So I delete disk-based storage in Backup Exec Server console and format the E:\. After that I try to use E:\ to create disk-based storage again in Create Storage wizard, but I cannot find E:\ in pull down menu  to create disk base storage, only C:\ and D:\ can be found.

Do anyone know how to solve this issue? Is above procedure is correct to re-create disk based storage.

Thanks!

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Backup_Exec's picture

Hi

This drives are local to Media server or this is SAN & have configured LUN and they are shown to Media server. If this is SAN do you have 2 HBA.,Could be this issue as per the link below ,

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189831

Thanks

Backup-Exec

Sameer

Don't forget to give a "Thumbs Up" or Mark as "Solution" if someones advice has helped you.

pkh's picture

Are the D: and E: drives normal built-in fixed disks or are they USB disks?  How does the E: drive shows up in Windows Explorer as Hard Disk Drives?

What is the OS of the media server?

steven_man's picture

D:\ is local disk drive and E:\ is SAN Disk.

E:\ can be shown in Windows Explorer.

The OS of media server is Windows 2008 R2 .

I can created disk base storageo on E:\ before . But it fails to recreate.

pkh's picture

As a work-around, try defining the disk storage using BEMCLI.  Start up the BEMCLI Launcher and then issue this command

New-BEDiskStorageDevice -Name "Device 0001" -DriveLetter E:

You can change the device name to what you want.  When the device is successfully created, you can click on it in the Storage tab and review/change its properties.
steven_man's picture

I solved the issue. After I need change drive letter from E:\ to Z:\, I can use the drive to create disk based storage.

SOLUTION