Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Disk to Disk Exchange backup is failing - Backup Exec 2010

Created: 04 Aug 2010 • Updated: 03 Oct 2010 | 59 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have recently installed Backup Exec 2010 on a standalone 2003 X64 Server box.. I have an Exchange agent activated to backup my exchange server. I do not have my tape library yet so for the moment I am looking to back up my exchange server to my Backup Exec Server's local drive. This is just temporary.

To accomplish this I created a Backup-to-disk item on the devices tab that points to a local folder. It is set for a maximum size of 500Gb. It is enabled and has a low disk threshold of 50GB set.

The drive in questiuon is the local drive on the Backup Exec computer. It is 1TB is sizw with 917GB free.

The backup job is set up to run a full backup, 'append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available', I also made a custom media set which is set to Overwrite protection period of 1 hour, and the appendable period is set to 'Infinite - Allow Append'.

My first run earlier in the week went great with no errors. I then ran another full backup and it backed up about 336GB of data but failed with the following error message:

The job failed with the following error: Using the job settings, Backup Exec attempted to back up the passive copy of the Exchange database. However, the passive copy was not available after the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot was performed. Try to run the job again.

Just a thought but ...

I have a space limit of 500GB set on the destination folder for the backup. It seems like the size was exceeded on the 2nd full backup but it was unable to delete the previous backup to make room for the new one. As I said the full backup is about 380GB.

Any ideas?

Comments 59 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi Buck,

Have you looked at changing the append period to something like an hour as well?

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Lou Di Tommaso's picture

Hi Buck,

The problem is that you have something other than "1" in the "Maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file" option on the General tab of the Backup-To-Disk folder.  For instance, let's say this number is set to 10.  What you are saying here is that the file is allowed to grow to 500 GB and the backup can append 9 more times to the file. 

Changing the setting to "1" will allow the backup to overwrite the file before trying to use avaialble free space on the drive.

Lou

buck614's picture

But I am doing full backups as well as full backups. I would want there to be at least six incrementals and one full in there at any given time.

Lou Di Tommaso's picture

That's fine.  What I am saying is that the initial file that is created will only have 1 backup job result in it.  Instead of tacking on more it will overwrite it and therefore leave you enough space to perform your Incrementals/Differentials.  The Incrementa/Differential job will create their own files.  I am not saying that you won't have multiple files.

Hopefully I understood what you are trying to accomplish.

Lou

buck614's picture

So if I set it to 1 ... I can have multiple incrementals and a 2 full backups still? All that should fit without exceeding the quota. I want TWO full backups at all times.

Lou Di Tommaso's picture

In order to have multiple backups you will have to set your retension period correctly.  I you want to have 2 Full Backups at all times, set your retension period to anywhere from 7 to 13 days.  If you set it for less, it may get overwritten to soon, if you set it to 2 weeks, you'll probably retain 3 copies.

How large are you're full backups?  380GB as stated above?  Then you won't have the space because you set your folder not to exceed 500 GB and you want 2 copies.  If my math is correct, 2 copies = 760 GB.

buck614's picture

Retention period? Where is that ... in the policy?

I upped my storage limit to 800GB.

Lou Di Tommaso's picture

Retention is configured on the media you created.  It setting is called "Overwrite Protection Period."  Since you are doing Full and Incremental backups, you should create two media sets "Full" and "Incremental." Set the Full media to anywhere between 7 and 13 days and the Incremental to 6 if you want to retain backups from Monday through Thursday.  Setting it to 6 will garantee that Mondays job will not be overwritten until the next Monday's job.  By the way, 800 GB will cover the 2 full backups but will it be enough to also include the incrementals?

pkh's picture

The "Maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file" is not the number of times that a file can be appended to.  A backup set is the backup of a resource, like a drive or database.  For example, if this number is set to 1 and you back up the C: and D: drive and a SQL database, 3 .bkf files would be need to store the backup.  If you set this number to 3 or more, then all 3 can go into one .bkf file.

Generally it is not a good ides to specify Append for B2D jobs.  The overwrite protection is reset when the file is used.  For example, your job writes to the BKF1 and your OPP is set such that the next time the job run, BKF1 will be overwriteable.  If your job is set to append, during the second run, it will first write to BKF1 which may have only a little space left.  BKF1 will be write-protected after this.  If the job fills up BKF2, it will not be able to overwrite BKF1.  It will need to create BKF3.   If your job is set to overwrite, then it will overwrite BKF1 and use its full capacity before it needs to create BKF2.

Also, note that when BE append.  It will only append to the first file or tape.  If it needs a second file or tape, it must be overwriteable, thus an infinite OPP should should only be used with care.

buck614's picture

Thank you ...

So when you say 'Generally it is not a good ides to specify Append for B2D jobs', are you referring to full backups, incremental backups, or both?

To make this easier ... what do you recommend my settings be then for the full backup, the incremental backup, and maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file?

I have a quota on my disk location that will account for two full backups and I want incrementals. Each full runs every Monday.
Thanks for your help.

buck614's picture

I am still looking for someone to spell out what my append time and my backup sets should be set to so that I can get two full backups in there with 6 days of incrementals. That would be great.

I have a new problem, I have implemented Incremental backups going to the same data destination. They run daily Tues through Sun. The full backup runs on Mon.

My first incremental on Tuesday ran fine but from last Wednesday through Sunday, each incremental backup failed with the following error:

Incremental -- The job failed with the following error: A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

The full ran yesterday and had no error. Doesn't sound like it really had a writer status error to me. Can anyone help me with this?

Ken Putnam's picture

I have a space limit of 500GB set on the destination folder for the backup. It seems like the size was exceeded on the 2nd full backup but it was unable to delete the previous backup to make room for the new one. As I said the full backup is about 380GB.

Do you mean MAX BKF SIZE is set to 500GB?   I would set this back to the default.  I also agree that ALL B2D should be OVERWRITE not APPEND.  \
Max Sets per file can be set to 10 or so, so that you do not waste too much space at the end fo the last BKF file of each job

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

buck614's picture

I am not sure what you mean when you say MAX BKF SIZE. I have my 'Maximum size for backup-to-disk files' set to 800GB. Right now I have 2 full backups in there.

If I set the full backup job to overwrite, can I keep more than one backup? I want to keep 2 full backups.

When you say overwrite only, do you mean for incrementals too? Wouldn't that mean I only have 1 incremental backup?

Ken Putnam's picture

I am not sure what you mean when you say MAX BKF SIZE. I have my 'Maximum size for backup-to-disk files' set to 800GB. Right now I have 2 full backups in there.

That is the option I was talking about.   

If I set the full backup job to overwrite, can I keep more than one backup? I want to keep 2 full backups.

If you set the OPP for the media set to however long you want to retain data, then, yes you can keep the output from multiple jobs available.

When you say overwrite only, do you mean for incrementals too? Wouldn't that mean I only have 1 incremental backup?

Not if you set the OPP of the INCR media set properly.  Say you want to keep 4 days of INCR and 3 sets of FULL.  Set the INCR media set OPP to 3 days and the FULL media set OPP to 20 days

buck614's picture

Just so you know, my full backups appear to be working fine because I have had two sucessive ones in a row.

buck614's picture

Gotcha. So, I make 2 media sets.

The full media set will be :
Overwrite Protection period: 16 Days (will cover at least 2 full backups)
Appendable Period: infinite allow append

The incremental media set will be:
Overwrite Protection period: 8 Days (will cover at least 6 days of incrementals)
Appendable Period: infinite allow append

For both jobs, I set the "When job begins" setting to "overwrite" in the properties of the policy. Even though it is set to overwrite, I will get two full backups because of my media set overwrite period?

Also, I have my backup-to-disk set up with a maximum size of 800GB, maximum number of backup sets to 20, with a 50GB low disk space threshold. Does that sound good?

Thanks for your help!

Ken Putnam's picture

Also, I have my backup-to-disk set up with a maximum size of 800GB, maximum number of backup sets to 20, with a 50GB low disk space threshold. Does that sound good?

For the max BKF file size.  if you  ever get to 801 GB, you will be wasting 799GB of disk space on every backup.  I'd set that back  to the default

INCR OPP  - if you set this to 8, if you do an INCR on Monday the first, for example, and if it finished after midnight, you cannot re-use the files created until the WED  9th.  is this what you need?

Similarly for the FULL OPP, an OPP of 16 days will mean that if you write a Full on Monday the 1st, you cannot reuse them until  the WED 17th

For myself, if I want to  keep two generations of data backed up weekly, I would use an OPP of 20 days
to keep six generations of data backed up daily, I'd use 6  days (reuse every Monday or every Tues, etc)

buck614's picture

What is the default setting for BKF file size then. It requires a manually entered file size.

Ken Putnam's picture

??

The default is 4GB.   perhaps that only appears when creating the B2D device and once change just goes away {shrug}

See page 484 of the BE2010 Admin Guide

buck614's picture

I will set it up today as described.

On the incrementals, should I be using the AOFO because without it these files are being missed:

File is in use         :D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Third Storage Group\tmp.edb
File is in use         : D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\Queue\trn.log
File is in use         : D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\Queue\trntmp.log
File is in use         : D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\SenderReputation\trn.log
File is in use         : D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\SenderReputation\trntmp.log
File is in use         : D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\Temp\Cts22E89.tmp

CraigV's picture

They are missed because BE uses active file exclusion. The agent would ensure that these files, which form part of Exchange's IS would be backed up.
If you use AOFO, and your IS is in the same job, you run the risk of causing issues with backups/restores.

CraigV's picture

...if it involves any DBs being backed up, it isn't recommended.
For Exchange, I have seen it not clear logs, cause issues when restoring from Exchange etc. I have personally had those 2, and have since split my DB backups off from data...

buck614's picture

I just did a test run and got this, is it going to be a problem:

Both the Full and Incremental Test Run showed the same results:

Media Capacity Check
Device                   : databackups
Online append capacity   : 647,032 MB
Online overwrite capacity: 0.000 MB
Total append capacity    : 647,032 MB
Total overwrite capacity : 0.000 MB
Capacity check status    : Failed
Miscellaneous            :  

Media Check
Online media check   : Insufficient online or nearline media is available to start job.
Overwrite media check: There is no media online or nearline that can be overwritten or the job has been marked append/terminate.
Media check status   : Failed 

CraigV's picture

Check this out:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/263679.htm

buck614's picture

You are basically saying it is a false positve and not a real error. Well the backups are scheduled to run tonight so I'll let you know.

Thanks everyone.

buck614's picture

Incremental ran last night but had a few exceptions. Are these ok considering I did not have AOFO enabled. I understand that it shouldn't be on on incrementals:

Unable to open the item D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Third Storage Group\tmp.edb - skipped.
Unable to open the item D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\IpFilter\IpFiltering.edb - skipped.
Unable to open the item D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\IpFilter\tmp.edb - skipped.
Unable to open the item D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\IpFilter\trn.log - skipped.
Unable to open the item D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\Queue\mail.que - skipped.
Unable to open the item D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\Queue\tmp.edb - skipped.
Unable to open the item D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\Queue\trn.log - skipped.
Unable to open the item D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\Queue\trntmp.log - skipped.
Unable to open the item D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\SenderReputation\pasettings.edb - skipped.
Unable to open the item D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\SenderReputation\tmp.edb - skipped.
Unable to open the item D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\SenderReputation\trn.log - skipped.
The .DR file that is required for Intelligent Disaster Recovery is created/updated.

CraigV's picture

BE has Active File Exclusion...it will do that...

buck614's picture

There were actually 2 sets of the exact exclusions as I listed above.

I still wonder whether both of theses resources should be selected:
I have this directory selected 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server', and I also have the preset group 'Microsoft Information Store' selected.

It looks like it is doing double the work. Isn't the' Information Store' selection taking care of the 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server' directory already?

It just makes me a little nervous to see in the log that files were excluded twice like that.

CraigV's picture

The agent will take care of backing up your Information Store (so your *.edb + *.stm + comitting all logs to the database).
Selecting that installation directory would include all other files that won't be ignored during the backup by AFE.

buck614's picture

Ok great.  I'll just watch to see my incrementals and then my full backup is Monday night.
Thanks again.

CraigV's picture

Hi Buck,

No...someone once mentioned that a couple of months ago, but generally that is where the "Thumbs Up" button comes in.
You can only award 1 post as the solution, so the idea behind it is to have either the post that specifically helped, or 1 that pointed you in the right direction (that ended up helping), with your follow-up explanation of what you would have done in conjunction with it.
So mark the most appropriate posting from whomever as the solution :)

Laters!

buck614's picture

My incrementals started failing over the weekend with the following error (Note: I am not even using the AOFO option):

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during freeze operation (9).

V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during freeze operation (9).

buck614's picture

Got the error listed above again. Why would I get that on an incremental if I am not using AOFO?

buck614's picture

I think my quota settings for the backup to disk are wrong. Everything is failing now. My full backup started running monday night and it was still running this morning (Wednesday).

When I cancelled the job it had this as an error:
V-79-57344-33935 - The backup-to-disk folder that was specified for this job ran out of disk space. The backup set has been deleted, and the backup-to-disk folder has been paused.
Either free some disk space, or specify a different backup-to-disk folder for the job. Before other jobs can use this folder, you must clear the Pause state. On the Devices view, right-click the folder and click Pause to remove the check mark.

I really need help please.
Thanks.

buck614's picture

I think it may be bacuase I set my max BKF file size limit to 4GB. I am setting that back to 800GB and see what happens.

buck614's picture

Everytime I run a job now I get this, (Note: I am not even using the AOFO option):

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Can someone please help me?

buck614's picture

It's been over a week since anyone has responded. I get the above error EVERY time the job runs now. Can anyone please help me?

CraigV's picture

Hit the "Escalate to Support" button here, but it might also be time to look into logging a call with Symantec. If you do, and they solve it, please post that solution here and close it off.

Thanks,

Craig

CraigV's picture

You won't see it, but I have selected it...post whether or not someone comes back to you. If not, best bet is to log a call directly with Symantec.

Ken Putnam's picture

If you have access to it (I think only Trusted Advisors do) it is on the bottom menu bar of the first post in a thread

Colin Weaver's picture

OK Going back to the original post

Problems with snapshot errors backing up the Passive Copy of Exchange 2007 Databases is a known problem that is outside of Symantec's control and influence to fix. Something was introduced in SP1 for Exchange 2007 by Microsoft that causes this problem and despite Symantec working with Microsoft it appears that the change cannot be undone because it affects other areas of Exchange. At this current time it appears that this will therefore never be solved as Microsoft are concentrating their development efforts on Exchange 2010 and any future versions.

This is covered by:
http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305815

The best solutions being set the job to backup from the Active Copy ONLY in the Exchange properties of the job - or upgrade your environment to Exchange 2010 DAGs that do not have the problem.

Please note that we have quoted a number of error codes in the job however we have seen in practice that the version, service pack and hotfix level of the Operating System, Backup Exec and Exchange can all change the error codes as such we have almost certainly not documented all the possible codes that might be returned by the same problem.

Also note that whilst in some environments the Passive Copy backup will intermittentkly fail (i.e. works most of the time) on other environments it will intermittently work (so fails most of the time)

I have not yet read the complete thread thoroughly to see if you had any other issues mentioned.

Colin Weaver's picture

OK have read a bit more of the thread,it  doesn't appear anyone told you about the Passive Copy problem however if you have already changed to the active copy backup and continue having problems with VSS when backing up the Active Copy of Exchange 2007  then you should consider logging a formal support case for us  to do more through troubleshooting.

buck614's picture

Please explain passive copy versus active copy and also where and how those selections are made.
Thanks.

Colin Weaver's picture

In your original post your pasted a message that indicates that Backup Exec was trying to backup Exchange from a Passive Copy of the Exchange Database.

Amongst other configurations, Exchange 2007 can be configured in CCR mode (where a copy of the Exchage Information Store is held on another computer), or LCR mode (where a copy of the Exchange Information Store is held on another volume on the same computer). These copies are known as Passive Copies - with the live version of the Information Store being the Active Copy. For more information on these copnfigurations I suggest you speak to Microsoft.

Against Backup Exec, from this forum thread,  I can't tell whether you are running LCR or CCR, however, either way, Backup Exec was originally designed to be able to protect the Passive Copy of the Information Store to limit the impact of running a backup job against the Active copy (in fact we default to this as we thought it was a good idea) Unfortunately the issue I provided in the document has meant the backup from the Passive Copy is unreliable and may not even work, reporting errors against VSS.

To change the setting that controls this:
1) open the Properties of the Backup Job that backups up your Exchange server.
2) in the side bar of the Job Properties, select the Microsoft Exchange section
3) in the drop down which on a BE 2010 R2 server is called 'High Availability Server (Exchange 2007 or later) - make sure it says "Backup from the active copy only (job fails if not available) NOTE: I suspect teh title of this section is differnt depending on the version of Backup Exec you are running - I don't have the older versions in front of me currently.
4) Submit the change to the job.

buck614's picture

Ok. Thanks for the response.

I have set the incremental and full backup jobs to the backup active copy setting. It was set to "let backup exec choose the method".

buck614's picture

However, the passive error at the beginning of my post is not really my error anymore. I think it has to do with my backup to disk settings.

Ken Putnam's picture

What error are you getting now?

buck614's picture

Everytime I run a job now I get this, (Note: I am not even using the AOFO option):

buck614's picture

Made the change to an active copy of the database ... made no difference.
Same error:

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- V-79-57344-65072 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE30): A communications failure has occurred.

V-79-57344-65072 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

V-79-57344-65072 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

BackupV-79-57344-65096 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE48): The function is not implemented.

Exceptions
Click an exception below to locate it in the job log
Backup- \C:The .DR file that is required for Intelligent Disaster Recovery is not updated.

Backup- \D:Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\First Storage Group\E00.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\First Storage Group\E00tmp.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\LocalCopies\Third Storage Group\mailbox database1.edb - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Second Storage Group\E01.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Second Storage Group\E01tmp.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Third Storage Group\E02.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Third Storage Group\E02tmp.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Third Storage Group\mailbox database1.edb - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\Queue\trn.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\Queue\trntmp.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\SenderReputation\trn.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \\varan.IDS.COM\D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\SenderReputation\trntmp.log - skipped.

The .DR file that is required for Intelligent Disaster Recovery is not updated.

buck614's picture

I think it is fixed now. I called Symantec Support and we were able to walk through some changes and I had a sucsessfull full backup last night.

My VSS writers were not showing online on my exchange box. I rebooted the exchange server and they started showing online properly. We also downloaded SP1 for Backup Exec 2010. That in turn updated the remote agent on the Exchange box.

We also determined that third storage group was set up for LCR replication. Because of that, we set bot the incremental and full backups to backup from the active copy only.

We set the maximum size for backup to disk files to 10Gb.

We also set the selection list to only backup System State, Shadow Copy Components, and the Microsoft Information Store. I am going to create a new selection list and policy to backup everything else on the exchange server. Apparently it is best to seperate those backups.

I am not using the AOFO option at all because it is not needed on a Windows 2003 server box apparently.

As I said, the full backup ran last night with no issues. I believe the main remaining issue was the VSS writers. I also needed to set it to "backup from the active copy only".

Thanks for everyone's help.

SOLUTION