Data Loss Prevention

View Only
  • 1.  DLP Endpoint agent 12.0 issue

Posted Mar 15, 2014 02:36 AM

Hi,

We have manually installed dlp 12.0 agents on some endpoints using script of msiexec with password key.One of the endpoint machine was showing as disconnected from last few days.The error on console was "Agent lost connection".

I tried to troubleshoot the issue.On the endpoint machine the services edpa and wdp were present but were not running.I tried manually starting the services but unable to start them.I also ran the uninstallation script for the agent removal but that was showing error and finishing abruptly.I also ran the clean_agent utility given by symantec support but still no success.

Please help me resolve this issue.The machine was running on windows XP.

• 2.  RE: DLP Endpoint agent 12.0 issue

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 15, 2014 04:59 AM

is there anyt message that shows up while uninstalling?

• 3.  RE: DLP Endpoint agent 12.0 issue

Posted Mar 15, 2014 05:25 AM

When i run the uninstallation script on other machines it starts and asks for password but in this machine no prompt or anything came.And when i ran the installation script on that machine first it came with options of "repair" and "remove" but on clicking on both options alterrnately gave a single prompt stating something like"your system has been changed the setup was not complete".Even after rebooting the services were not starting.

• 4.  RE: DLP Endpoint agent 12.0 issue

Posted Mar 17, 2014 08:11 AM

Dear nidev, please chcek which version of clean agent u recived from Support, whether it is supported to run on win XP, You can also rfere below for more options

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/dlp-uninstallation

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/agent-installation-error

• 5.  RE: DLP Endpoint agent 12.0 issue

Posted Mar 18, 2014 02:04 AM

Yes the clean agent version is 12.0 only.But how can i come to know whether its supported for XP or not?

Any idea of the specific registry keys that i need to delete.And what else i can try before taking a reboot.Will deleting the agent entry from the console help?

• 6.  RE: DLP Endpoint agent 12.0 issue

Posted Mar 28, 2014 05:53 AM

Dear Nidev,

Occasionally, the Symantec DLP Agent uninstaller does not remove all of the files from the previous version of the Symantec DLP Agent from your system. This happens if a previous installation process failed and the  eference count of the installed files is not reset to 1.

You must manually delete any files that have not been deleted.

• 7.  RE: DLP Endpoint agent 12.0 issue

Posted Mar 28, 2014 06:13 AM

In Windows 8, some DLLs may not be removed when you uninstall the DLP Agent.
    To clean up these files, restart the endpoint computer.

In Windows 8 and 8.1, you cannot install the DLP Agent using the default installer.

Add this parameter to the agentinstallation batch file script
    (InstallAgent.bat):
    Allow2003=Yes
    Then install the agent from the command line.

• 8.  RE: DLP Endpoint agent 12.0 issue

Posted Apr 03, 2014 02:14 AM

Hi Nidev,

Possible root cause

• Its just issue with corrupt regisry of DLP installation during your testing of installation/uninstallation which are not cleaned and restricting to install properly
    • As its ver 12.0, most of installation files are created considering windows 8 and onwards so due this there might be some compatibility issue during  installation and some files might not gettong installed.
    • Corrupt windows system files which support installation of application in its system folder/files

possible solution

• Remove dlp installaed files and regisry entries manually bu refrereing step refer in Symantec KB
    • path the windos o.s with latest supported patches and compatible for DLP agent ver 12.0
    • Upgrade your O.S from xp to Win 8