Data Loss Prevention

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

DLP Upgrade 11.0 > 11.6.3

• 1.  DLP Upgrade 11.0 > 11.6.3

Posted Dec 23, 2013 09:51 AM

Hello dear community

I’m just trying to upgrade a test-system from version 11.0 to 11.6.3.
    I’ve chosen the manual upgrade path via copying the jar-file onto the server as described in the upgrade guide.
    After successfully starting the Upgrade Wizard and logging into it, the prerequisite check fails with toe following error message:

Unable to verify Oracle version

WARNING!!!

SQLException while attempting to verify Oracle version: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

WARNING!!!

Unable to connect to database to verify permissions

Oracle Permissions Check Failed:

The database precheck has detected a problem. The upgrade has been canceled. Your

system remains on the current version. Please see the Troubleshooting section of

the Upgrade Guide for solutions.

This seems very clear at first glance and it actually is.

But:
    I am guessing the Upgrade Wizard is using the configuration provided in the jdbc.properties file and ProtectPasswort.properties, correct?
    But the Upgrade Wizard is not able to logon to the database either. This makes no sense to me.

Alright, the upgrade guide says:

• “To complete the upgrade, you must have access to the Oracle sys account. …”
    • “See “Preparing the Oracle database for a Symantec Data Loss Prevention Standard upgrade” …”
    • “You must add specific permissions to the Symantec Data Loss Prevention Standard database user before you can upgrade to Symantec Data Loss Prevention Standard 11.6”

I do have access to the Oracle sys account, but what on earth do I have to add as “specific permissions” to the database user before upgrading?
    The error message is not the problem, the problem is that I just cannot find the proper information on what to do with the DB-connection.

Ideas, anybody?

Cheers

• 2.  RE: DLP Upgrade 11.0 > 11.6.3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 23, 2013 09:56 AM

using sql plus try logging into protect user as well as a sysdba , do you get error?

please share the result.

• 3.  RE: DLP Upgrade 11.0 > 11.6.3

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 23, 2013 10:13 AM

For privilege list check KB article #54430.

If you have right to do it and cannot spend too many times with that, just gove protect all privileges on DB and on all object then perform your migration (especially if it is a test environment).

Of course after that better to set back "normal" privilege for DB account.

• 4.  RE: DLP Upgrade 11.0 > 11.6.3

Posted Dec 24, 2013 05:37 AM

Hello guys

Thanks for the input. Will check the user rights from the KB article, set if needed, try again and see what happens.

Probably will only get to this on Friday.

Cheers

• 5.  RE: DLP Upgrade 11.0 > 11.6.3

Posted Dec 26, 2013 04:03 AM

Hi,

With ref to above log as  invalid username/password; logon denied

indicates that there is possibility of wrong login /password inputs provided. plz chcek login crediatials match for the upgradtion activity.

• 6.  RE: DLP Upgrade 11.0 > 11.6.3

Posted Dec 27, 2013 03:37 AM

@ K S Sharma:
    I will consider this, thanks. Just for my understanding - How can this password be not correct when DLP itself works fine?

• 7.  RE: DLP Upgrade 11.0 > 11.6.3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 27, 2013 04:50 AM

use sql plus to verify if you are able to connect in.

• 8.  RE: DLP Upgrade 11.0 > 11.6.3

Posted Dec 27, 2013 05:38 AM

Alright  - To make sure everything is correct with the password, I changed it using DBPasswordChanger.

I also checked the permissions for the user "protect". Compared with the KB article referred above they're correct.

Now after trying again to update I get another error message from the updater:

Exception:

com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerVariables$UndefinedVariableException: installer:oraclePermissionsErrorMessage
     at com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerVariables$InstallerReplacementCallback.handleError(Unknown Source)
     at com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerVariables$InstallerReplacementCallback.getReplacement(Unknown Source)
     at com.install4j.runtime.util.StringUtil.replaceVariable(Unknown Source)
     at com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerVariables.replaceVariables(Unknown Source)
     at com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerVariables.replaceVariables(Unknown Source)
     at com.install4j.runtime.installer.config.ActionBeanConfig.getErrorMessage(Unknown Source)
     at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.handleFailure(Unknown Source)
     at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.executeActions(Unknown Source)
     at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.handleCommand(Unknown Source)
     at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.start(Unknown Source)
     at com.install4j.runtime.installer.Installer.main(Unknown Source)
     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
     at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
     at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)
     at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

Next step would probably be to give the user protect sys-rights ... Guess this needs some discussion with our dba ;)

• 9.  RE: DLP Upgrade 11.0 > 11.6.3

Posted Jan 02, 2014 02:11 AM

Please check with your Oracle DB Team whether they have updated the oracle servers anytime ? ..

If yes, then you will have to ask them to reset the password because sometimes after server updates or any oracle updates thie password problem arisis although the DLP works fine but resists any logins through oracle client.

After the DB Admin has changed the password, try loggin in with the new password.

• 10.  RE: DLP Upgrade 11.0 > 11.6.3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 04, 2014 06:07 AM

Hi, flutti

You cannot upgrade a DLP 11.0 Enforce into a 11.6.3 directly.

Please use the upgrade jar package to upgrade your DLP 11.0 Enforce into a 11.6.0 firstly, then upgrade the 11.6.0 into 11.6.3.

I think the error message may be related to your wrong upgrade path.

Good luck.

• 11.  RE: DLP Upgrade 11.0 > 11.6.3

Posted Jan 14, 2014 11:43 AM

Hi guys, I thought I'll give you an update on this one.
    Actually in the end it was a problem within the jdbc.properties-file.

Although the oracle-thin connection is normally used, the updater uses the other entry. And since Murphy always strikes back, this wasn't configured as "protect".
    After changing that username to "protect", everything went well.

Which leaves - at least for my understanding - another question behind: Why is the updater using a disabled (or at least un-used in daily business for creating connections to the Oracle DB) value?

@ yang_zhang:
    I was trying to update to 11.6.0, not directly to 11.6.3.