Data Loss Prevention

View Only
  • 1.  DLP v11.5 Endpoint Agent Server - FileReader restarts excessively

Posted May 11, 2012 02:32 PM

I have noticed the following ERROR on the Endpoint Agent Server (v.11.5) during large IDM indexing job.

The following appears in the Events section: FileReader restarts excessively.

11/V/12:19:37:25:899+0300 [SEVERE] (BOXMONITOR.14) Process [FileReader] has not responded for 16 minute(s) 0 ms
    11/V/12:19:37:42:165+0300 [INFO] (BOXMONITOR.13) Detection Server status changed from STARTING to ALL_RUNNING
    11/V/12:20:06:34:572+0300 [INFO] (BOXMONITOR.13) Detection Server status changed from ALL_RUNNING to SOME_RUNNING
    11/V/12:20:06:36:666+0300 [INFO] (BOXMONITOR.13) Detection Server status changed from SOME_RUNNING to STARTING
    11/V/12:20:06:36:666+0300 [WARNING] (BOXMONITOR.15) Process FileReader was restarted

• 2.  RE: DLP v11.5 Endpoint Agent Server - FileReader restarts excessively

Posted May 11, 2012 04:00 PM

...moved to the correct forum!

• 3.  RE: DLP v11.5 Endpoint Agent Server - FileReader restarts excessively

Posted May 28, 2012 09:33 AM

Hi,

I have the same problem in this week, and the problem are the policy are note configured well, forcing the filereader restart.

If the FileReader restarts itself occasionally, this is normal behavior. However, if you are experiencing consistent FileReader restarts in your environment, there are a few things you can do to determine the cause:

1. FileReader may fail to start (and restart) if it can’t receive all the configuration information it needs. To troubleshoot the exact cause, look in the FileReader log first to identify which FileReader subsystem isn’t starting. Once it’s identified that a particular subsystem isn’t receiving its configuration, one should look in the MonitorController log to see if the corresponding subsystem has been initialized successfully. One of the common failures is inability to ignite cryptographic keys in the MonitorController because the ignition password on the disk got out of sync with the Administrator password in the database. In this case the password issue must be fixed and only after that should the MonitorController be restarted.
    2. Check your policies. Oftentimes FileReader restarts will occur because of a particular policy. For example, if a Regex in a particular policy exceeds given thresholds (such as maximum component time), then the FileReader will restart. Look at the log files for the “intentionally restarting process” message which identifies the message chain component causing the restart. If this component is “Detection” the most likely cause is a poorly written regular expression.
    3. Check for "bad" messages. Save the *.vpcap file that contains the message in question. You can use the file for testing without having to actually send the message again.
    4. Check for locked *.vpcap files.
      1. Stop Packet Capture so that you do not get noise in the test. Start FileReader process. If the *.vpcap file gets picked up, the inductor is working. If the inductor is not working, find out why. The most common problem is that some process has a lock on the files. Other than that, collect the FileReader log and contact support.
    5. If the inductor is working, the problem may be in the Layer 7 Parser or the Content Extractor. Visually inspect the FileReader log for any exceptions, warnings or severe log messages.
    6. While the Content Extractor can often have problems processing various file formats it can rarely, if ever, be blamed for a FileReader restart.

Dying threads can cause FileReader to stop reporting heartbeats and eventually be restarted. Look in VontuMonitor.log for exceptions. Each exception in that log file is an indicator of a serious problem (a product defect) and is a likely cause of a FileReader restart

• 4.  RE: DLP v11.5 Endpoint Agent Server - FileReader restarts excessively

Posted May 29, 2012 07:28 AM

I had a similar issue with Network Monitor. Policys wasn't the problem in my case.

After a long process with the support they sent me a quickfix of a now known bug. Will probably be available in the next release.

Although if you need it now get the support to send the patch (Hotfix_11.5.1010) to you. My problems got fixed after applying it!

/Oscar

• 5.  RE: DLP v11.5 Endpoint Agent Server - FileReader restarts excessively

Posted May 31, 2012 08:32 AM

What is the size of the files that you are trying to Index? Is the Endpoint server same as Enforce?

Check the Vontu Manager log file for any errors around the timestamp when the issue occured. Also monitor the System memory utilization.