Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

DMZ server suddenly prompted for reboot by SEP v 12.1 client upgrade ?

Created: 12 Aug 2012 • Updated: 14 Oct 2012 | 15 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi People,

I have two SEPM in the company, one in Internal Network and one in DMZ network, both are SEPM v 12.1 RU1 replicating again each other. 

I have created test group in my Internal Network SEPM and then created the setup package assigned to this group it went fine so far, but the problem is taht today this morning I've been prompted to reboot in some of my DMZ production servers after SEP v 12.1 upgrade ?

how can this be possible ? I didn't even create the Client setup package in the SEPM DMZ but the DMZ Web servers got updated and asking to reboot ?

From the SEP client Troubleshooting window, all of the DMZ servers is correctly points to the SEPM in my DMZ zone.

Comments 15 CommentsJump to latest comment

pete_4u2002's picture

can you chec the MSL list for the client group? if it has the intenal network listed, may be loadbalancing/failover would have occured and clients would have upgraded.

Dushan Gomez's picture

Thanks for the quick response Pete,

Where can I find the MSL list ?

Dushan Gomez
IT Manager
VCP 4 and 5 | MCITP Exchange Server | MCTS SharePoint Server | MCP Windows XP

pete_4u2002's picture

can you highlight to the group where the clients report to. Click on the communication settings , you will find teh MSL list name. Under Policy tab you will find the MSL information.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO55402

John Q.'s picture

can you double-check groups and install packages assigned to them? You may have configure auto-upgrade on a group of clients from DMZ.

Please remember to mark the proper comment as SOLUTION:
 - to identify threads that do not require further assistance
 - to let other visitors know how to fix such issue

NRaj's picture

Agree with the above comments. Check the sylink files on the client and the communication server the group is pointing to and for the installation package assigned to them. moreover, a minor upgrade should not ask for a reboot. Hope it is not a failover and there was an outage on the primary server.

.Brian's picture

Select your group

Click Policies tab

Click General Settings

View Restart Settings tab

How is this configured? You may need to adjust settings on this tab.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Ashish-Sharma's picture

You may set your installation package to "no restart"so you can control it but it does not mean you can avoid it and the SEPM just reflects it.

Migrating the SEPM would not require any reboots. However, when Migrating the SEP clients you may require a reboot of the SEP client machines. Network Threat Protection (firewall) drivers would require a restart of the machines to get themselves activated. However, these could be taken care off by creating custom package and avoiding the restart of machines.

Creating custom client installation packages in the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console version 12.1

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH165801

NOTE: You may have to restart the machine before the next migration or once the machine is ideal and out of production hours; whichever is earlier.

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

.Brian's picture

Any updates on this?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Mohan Babu's picture

Looking forward to hear the updates..........

Mohan Babu

moglie20@gmail.com

+91 9884382160

Your satisfaction is very important to us.If you find above information helpful or it has resolved your issue...please mark it accordingly :)

John Santana's picture

I allso got into this situation as well, typically it is due to the Symantec client installation package has been configured with the wrong Sylink.xml thus it is categorized into wrong Group with the auto reboot feature ?

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

--------------------------------------------------

Please be nice to me as I'm newbie in this forum.

SOLUTION
Mohan Babu's picture

Check for Autoupgrade pacakges as well. If it set to default install settings or custom make sure the settings will not be a cause for reboot

Mohan Babu

moglie20@gmail.com

+91 9884382160

Your satisfaction is very important to us.If you find above information helpful or it has resolved your issue...please mark it accordingly :)

John Santana's picture

yes that'll be checked as well.

Many thanks Mohan Babu !

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

Mohan Babu's picture

Welcome always.........John Santana

Hope you got the required information............

Is there anything else i can help you with...........

Mohan Babu

moglie20@gmail.com

+91 9884382160

John Santana's picture

yes I did. thanks Mohan, hopefully this can be also a helpful solution for everyone.

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

Mohan Babu's picture

Welcome always........ Hugs..

Mohan Babu

moglie20@gmail.com

+91 9884382160