Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Do you have to upgrade clients to 11.0.6 when you've upgraded SEPM to 11.0.6

• 1.  Do you have to upgrade clients to 11.0.6 when you've upgraded SEPM to 11.0.6

Posted Apr 27, 2010 12:22 PM
    Currently I have upgraded my SEPM to 11.0.6. I have about one hundred clients running 11.0.5. What are the advantages  to upgrading my clients to the new version?  Can I leave them at the older version?

Second issue is that during the install of new SEPM I had to first backup the database. It would not let me backup the database unless I logged in as the domain admin. I first logged in as a member of the domain admins group, but it returned an error message with a privileges issue. Does SEPM have trouble seeing groups?

• 2.  RE: Do you have to upgrade clients to 11.0.6 when you've upgraded SEPM to 11.0.6

Posted Apr 27, 2010 12:52 PM

You could stay at RU5, there are no security vulnerabilities identified with RU5, but you would be missing out on build fixes:

Title: 'Release Notes for Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.x and Symantec Network Access Control 11.0.x'
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007121216360648

As for the privileges thing, hard to say.  It should recognize privileges, but it depends on what the effective permissions are (do you also belong to a more restrictive group like 'Everyone'?), whether you're logging in with a non-console RDP session, etc.

• 3.  RE: Do you have to upgrade clients to 11.0.6 when you've upgraded SEPM to 11.0.6
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 27, 2010 12:58 PM

I was going to  use auto upgrade.

At fist, I logged into RDP seesion with an account that was in admins group. Failed. Then went to server and logged into with member of domain admins group. Failed. Finally logged in with domain admin account and it worked. Not a big deal. I'll explore being a member of a restrictive group

• 4.  RE: Do you have to upgrade clients to 11.0.6 when you've upgraded SEPM to 11.0.6

Posted Apr 27, 2010 01:24 PM

You can add an install package to a group and setup a schedule so that it only upgrades during certain times (network down time) and extend it out over the course of a week or two pr longer depending on what you want to do.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/349227.htm

• 5.  RE: Do you have to upgrade clients to 11.0.6 when you've upgraded SEPM to 11.0.6

Posted Apr 27, 2010 03:08 PM
    The Auto-Upgrade feature is most likely the least-taxing on your network. The Auto-Upgrade feature will use a Delta file to upgrade the client, so it is very small. Since your are upgrading from RU5 to RU6, the Auto-Upgrade delta system has been improved to be dramatically smaller. Before, the upgrade included a delta of the base AV Definitions -- which was totally useless. Now the delta only includes actual code changes -- don't quote me on it but I believe the delta was under 15MBs -- not sure though.
    Also, unlike the MR4 to RU5 upgrade, the RU5 to RU6 upgrade should not cause a momentary network disconnect during the upgrade if you have the FW product installed (highly recommended).

And, as Brian81 already mentioned, you can schedule the upgrade to happen over several days to reduce network load and/or IT load.

• 6.  RE: Do you have to upgrade clients to 11.0.6 when you've upgraded SEPM to 11.0.6

Posted Apr 27, 2010 03:52 PM

@ RB Smith,

The auto-upgrade feature is great if all of your clients are on the same subnet or in the same location, but considering that the auto-update has to be pushed from the SEPM this isn't always the least taxing on the network. If you have multiple locations and the WAN connections are slower (say 512k or T1) even the delta files could crush the bandwidth/network. Until install packages can be pushed through GUPs, I would recommend using clientremote.exe (Push Deployment Wizard) found on CD2. What I do is copy the install package to the DC in each location and use clientremote.exe to push out the update.

Mike

• 7.  RE: Do you have to upgrade clients to 11.0.6 when you've upgraded SEPM to 11.0.6

Posted Apr 28, 2010 02:24 PM
    Good point. I sometimes for get to 'think big'.

• 8.  RE: Do you have to upgrade clients to 11.0.6 when you've upgraded SEPM to 11.0.6

Posted May 23, 2010 04:03 AM
    hi all
    after a made update for SEMP manager from 11.0.5 to 11.0.6 and made upgrade groups with for the new client from the SEMP manager, but some client has upgrade and some of them didn't take the update and some of them take the upgrade and the green dot no appear in the manager ...!  what to do to upgrade client

• 9.  RE: Do you have to upgrade clients to 11.0.6 when you've upgraded SEPM to 11.0.6

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 23, 2010 04:23 AM
    the clients would not have taken upgrade because of the confiugration as well might be clients may not be online.

• 10.  RE: Do you have to upgrade clients to 11.0.6 when you've upgraded SEPM to 11.0.6

Posted May 23, 2010 06:21 AM
    what you means by this ...
    why ather client take update and every thing is good

• 11.  RE: Do you have to upgrade clients to 11.0.6 when you've upgraded SEPM to 11.0.6

Posted May 23, 2010 11:48 PM
    Hi Gama,

Please open a new thread for your issue. This thread has already been solved and is old (and not completely related). Also if you are the thread owner you can mark threads solved and do other things like post files ect.

Thanks and I  hope you understand,
    Grant