Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

does anybody have beta fix for: beremote.exe crashing when backup up file data on exchange 2010 server

Created: 12 Apr 2010 • Updated: 14 Oct 2010 | 3 comments

waited with case # for over 3 weeks and over 60+ hours on phone with support to get this beta fix.

I was promised this beta fix (which supposedly works) from symantec support in a day - lol, that was over 2 weeks ago.

according to the forum and the lucky users who have received this beta fix, it works and allows you to backup up other data (drives, system state, shadow copy) from a

windows 2008 r2 server running exchange 2010. (relates to document id: 337862).

I have spent countless hours on the phone and goto web sessions to prove that work around stated in document id DOES NOT work, as I already had 2 backup jobs, one for

files and one for exchange database, which is common practice anyways.

also:, lol, maybe someday they will also fix restoring directly from tape to exchange 2010 mailboxes mail items, which used to work out of the box in all the other versions,

and is why most of us bought and/or upgraded to this new product. I know workaround for this works as I have restored to RDB and used exchange powershell commands to

restore data, but come on, really, do most of us really want to learn powershell commands, just to restore someones deleted items folder??

any help with the above will be well appreciated.

loyal but short term backup exec user.

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Ken Putnam's picture

I've set the support flag for this post, so someone should (hopefully) be contacting you

maybe someday they will also fix restoring directly from tape to exchange 2010 mailboxes mail items, which used to work out of the box in all the other versions,

No, GRT enabled backups have always needed to be staged from tape to disk before individual accounts or EMails could be restored

Legacy mailbox backups (also called brick-level backups) could be restored directly from tape, but the restores were often problematical at best, and were horrendously slow (20-30 MB/min in some cases)

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

Will Wally's picture

At least you got to speak with someone. I logged 7 hours on hold today alone and never got to speak with anyone. I have the same problem with beremote.exe crashing on Windows 2008 R2 running Exchange 2010. I have been searching frantically for the beta fix but no luck. Would anyone here lucky enough to receive it from Symantec PM me with the fix?

Colin Weaver's picture

For your information one of the conditions of beta fixes being released to customers is that they do not distribute them to other companies. If you have a case number (that you can send me in a private message) I will see if I can find out what is going on with the case and what the status of the beta solution you refer to is.