Video Screencast Help
Scheduled Maintenance: Symantec Connect is scheduled to be down Saturday, April 19 from 10am to 2pm Pacific Standard Time (GMT: 5pm to 9pm) for server migration and upgrade.
Please accept our apologies in advance for any inconvenience this might cause.

Does anyone know why the Workflow Designer freezes and uses 100% CPU Time sometimes when you search for Components?

Created: 27 Feb 2013 | 5 comments
QuietLeni's picture

Dear All,

I have just been working for about half a day on a Project (sadly, I think, without saving) and then when I wanted to find a Component, I started typing "Com" in the search box. Then the application just freezes. Looking at the Task Manager, I see that LogicBase.ToolCore.exe is using 100% of CPU time.

Does anyone know why this does it and if this will be fixed??? I have seen this happen in WF 7.1 SP1, SP2 and WF 7.5 (ServiceDesk Edition).

Sadly for me now, I think that I am going to have to kill the application and restart (which means I have lost lots of work)!

Kindest regards,

QuietLeni

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

reecardo's picture

While this doesn't help you now... one thing I find that helps matters is to unload libraries you don't use/need from your projects (like the SMP generated libs for ASDK, Task, and Resource).

I'll investigate this more to see what the issue might be.

QuietLeni's picture

Thanks reecardo.

It seems to happen once in a while (enough to forget to press save before searching). I remember once having it continuously. At that time, I just thought I was doing someting wrong, but it can't just be me.

Is anyone else getting this?

What is the point of an Asset Management Solution that needs excessive management? Let me help you.

b3tts32's picture

I get this from time to time as well. I'm a frequent saver after having learned my lesson. 

You can get around it by collapsing all of your component folders when searching. Somebody mentioned this before and I haven't had it freeze on me since I started searchnig this way.

QuietLeni's picture

b3tts32,

Great (in some ways) - at least I know not what to do and there is something else to help reecardo find what the problem is! I know to save more often (as I have been).

Kindest regards,

QuietLeni

What is the point of an Asset Management Solution that needs excessive management? Let me help you.

loekee's picture

This has happened to me quite a few times (WF 7.1 SP2) where my project completely locks up after typing a few characters into the component search box.

When I looked for a solution to this issue, I discovered that a few other users were having the same or similar problems. Ever since I started using the workaround Rob Moore suggested a few months ago in this related post, I have not had any problems with it freezing. Here are some more details about my experience with this issue:

Background/Symptoms:

• Logged in over RDP and project has not been saved in awhile
  • The component toolbox tree has one or more nodes expanded and/or the project has not been saved prior to performing the search
  • Begin typing a few characters in the component search box and the project freezes

Workaround:

• Collapse every branch of the component toolbox tree before typing in the search box
  • Save more frequently!

Possible Prevention?