Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Does backup exec 2010 backup NFS shares

Created: 07 Oct 2013 • Updated: 08 Oct 2013 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,

I currently have a linux server which has some nfs shares that are being mapped to a windows box. The windows box is already being backed up so I want to exclude the nfs shares on the linux servers. How do I do that from the gui? Thank You

Operating Systems:
Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

DNI_1's picture

Yes. Backup Exec 2010 does backup NFS shares. Below are the ways to backup NFS shares.

Option 1:

Based on your question, If you just need to exclude the NFS shares on the linux server :

1.Edit the linux backup job and drill down the selection list.

2. Uncheck the NFS shares that you do not need to backup again.

3. Save the Changes.

Option 2:

Alternatively, check the Software compatibility list for BE 2010 at

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137682   and if you find the Linux flavor and the version as compatible, then

1.Deselect the NFS share mapped to windows in the same selection list.

2. Select the NFS shares under the Linux server.

3. In the job properties, under the option for 'Linux, Unix and Macintosh', select the option 'Follow remote mount points'.

-- Backing up a Linux machine direct would require Agent for Linux license.

Check the link below., though it talks about exceptions, it explains NFS shares can be backed up.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH63609

Hope this helps!! Kindly, mark this as solution if it resolves your issue.

backup128's picture

It backs up the whole vmdk file. I don't see where I can drill down and uncheck the NFS shares

backup128's picture

also, seems like back ups take forever going through vcenter and not directly using the agent. We use centos 6.4 which I'm not sure RALUS supports it.

pkh's picture

CentOS is not supported by any version of BE.

SOLUTION