Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

Does Backup Exec 2012 need to be run on a standalone server?

Created: 22 Oct 2013 • Updated: 22 Oct 2013 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi All,

Thank you for reading this post.

May I ask if we only have 2 servers in total, can I install Backup Exec 2012 onto one of the servers and in the end backing up both servers? (and being able to bare metal recovery both of them from i.e. tape?)

Or do we need to procure another server just to serve the role of "backup exec server"?

Thank you very much for your time.

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

Nope, you can use a server that already performs some sort of role (like a Domain Controller, Exchange server etc). No need to purchase a dedicated server just for backups.

Just make sure you comply with the hardware requirements (memory, disk space available, CPU etc).

I've done this plenty of times and never had an issue.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION
Lok Koo's picture

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Another quick question though, do bare metal recovery need the server to be online?

For example if the server itself crashed, can I bare metal recovery itself (i.e from tape?) ?

Sorry for the questions and thanks again for the help!

Colin Weaver's picture

SDR (using a bootable DVD) can recover the operating system from a tape (or disk but not dedup) backup, however you will need to do a few manual steps to get any database content (which will include the Backup Exec database itself) back. 

BTW the term Bare Metal Recovery means different things to different products, people and situations. For both Backup Exec and as it happens the Bare Metal Recovery component that is part of NetBackup, it means get back the file system and operating system to a bootable state. It does not means get back database content. The reason we cannot get the database content in a single operation is that when we back we use an API to acces the databse information  and we need that API to be available during the recovery, but the API cannot be part of a WinPE bootable environment (such as our SDR disk)