Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Does uninstall of Backup Exec Remote Agent on Win Server 2008 R2 require reboot?

Created: 24 Apr 2014 • Updated: 28 Apr 2014 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

We are migrating to NetBackUp, and away from BackUp Exec 2010 SP3.  I am trying to keep downtime to a minimum.   Can the BackUp Exec Agent for Windows (on Windows Server 2008 R2), be uninstalled without requiring a reboot of the system?

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

lmosla's picture

Hello quantum-it,

A reboot isn't required unless you are reinstalling the agent.

CraigV's picture

...you might require a reboot of the NBU agent though, so always factor in a bit of downtime. When it isn't required, at least you have covered your bases.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Colin Weaver's picture

Whether or not a reboot is required might depend on

a) Whether or not you were using Client Side Dedup

b) Whether or not the MSI database ends up in a condition where it won't allow software installs until you have rebooted. (in this instance it is possible that the uninstall won't warn you that a reboot is needed BUT the attempt to install NBU afterwards would fail asking you to reboot first)

Unfortunately there only real way to find out if a reboot is needed is to try it as it can vary from server to server in a given envionment.

BTW I would recommend rebooting anyway as if something then stops the server from starting you only have a single last action to troubleshoot against root cause. However if you perform multiple actions and then eventually reboot and see a problem, troubleshooting is a lot harder. Even prior to working at Symantec the companies I worked in always used to schedule for reboots when changing software on servers just in case.

SOLUTION