Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Does Wise Installation System 9.0 supports Windows Vista,Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008?

Created: 30 Mar 2009 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

I am using Wise Installation System for creating installable for one my commercial application.
Now I need to support the same application on Windows Vista,Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008.
Do i need to move to some other installation solution from Wise or Wise Installation System supported above mentioned operating systems?
Please note that currently i only need to support 32 bit version of these operating systems.

Thanks,
Onkar

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

EdT's picture

Onkar,
Wise Installation System 9 reached end of life before any of the operating systems in your list were released, so there is no official support for any of these operating systems.
However, that does not mean that the installer cannot be used to create successful installers for these operating systems - but it depends on the context in which the software will be installed.
Due to the higher level of security implemented in Vista, etc, you may need code signed installations and/or manifests to install silently, to avoid installations being blocked by UAC.
Interactive installations are less of an issue as the user then permits install when the UAC prompt is presented.
So the answer is really all about testing - make sure that you test the install carefully on each of these operating systems before shipping it out.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

Onkar's picture

EdT,

Thanks a ton for your reply.
If I want to replace Wise Installation System 9.0; what should be the ideal replacement for it; without making major changes in existing Wise Script.

Thanks,
Onkar

EdT's picture

Wise Installation Studio 7 has a slightly updated Wisescript Editor included, but there is not really sufficient additional functionality to fully meet your requirements, as Wisescript is no longer developed primarily as a packaging tool, but more as a custom action writing tool. So there is some support for code signing and manifests, but also some outstanding issues which may or may not be sorted out in a future service pack or version update.
The bottom line is that the focus on installation technology moved away from traditional "scripted"  installers to MSI installers several years ago, and no-one is now actively developing scripted installation tools any more.
My recommendation would be to look at migrating your projects to an MSI platform - perhaps utilising one of the free tools such as WIX or InnoSetup.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

SOLUTION