Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  DS 6.9 SP4 HP T5550's

Posted Dec 13, 2010 05:14 PM

Hi there i am running into a few issues with our deployment server and the new Thinclient;s HP are rolling out. At this current time we have roughly 300 units ranging from different models (t5300, t5520, 30 ,40) which all connect fine and am able to deploy jobs remotely. Now with the T5550's when i boot into the client i point it to our deployment server, with it connecting successfully (blue light) though on the server itself i cant see it. If i reboot the client into network and wait for a PXE response it pulls the boot menu but after it goes through the linux pre boot environment it stays at a  # command prompt and thus i cant send a job down to it. I'm assuming it's not a network driver issue otherwise it wouldn't of picked the proxyDHCP address. I have managed to download the latest image and BIOS image, applied it to no avail. 

Any ideas?

Cheers 

Mark

• 2.  RE: DS 6.9 SP4 HP T5550's

Posted Dec 14, 2010 04:34 AM

You could add the network drivers with the PXE configuration, to the linux boot.

• 3.  RE: DS 6.9 SP4 HP T5550's

Posted Dec 14, 2010 07:48 PM

Hi Martin the T5550's are using a Broadcom 2.1 UNDI driver, chipset 57780 though when i download the file extract the .ko file and add it, it seems the driver already exists, so i selected all the broadcom drivers for Linux (roughly 5) then edited the pxe configuration to no avail.

• 4.  RE: DS 6.9 SP4 HP T5550's

Posted Dec 18, 2010 09:15 PM

Also i have found that our T5740 is having the exact same fault.

Has anyone managed to pxe boot and attempt imaging jobs with the newer type of Thinclients with DS 6.9 sp4? 

Note i setup WinPE2.1 and FreeDOS as a pxe option though the same problem occurs.

• 5.  RE: DS 6.9 SP4 HP T5550's

Posted Jun 15, 2011 09:51 AM
      |   view attached

I know it's a little off-topic for the particular problem you started discussing, but have you had any other issues with the t5550?

On my old DS6.9 SP3 server and on my replacement (built from scratch) DS 6.9 SP5 server, I get incomplete device inventories on all of my t5550 devices, where the t5300, t5520, t5530, t5540, t5630, t5700 and t5730 (!!) devices all seem to work properly.

What I mean is that some fields from the Hardware page (I think they may all be SMBIOS related) are left empty:

• Manufacturer
    • Model
    • Product name
    • Serial Number
    • Asset Tag
    • BIOS version
    • BIOS release date

<< see attached screenshot >>

It makes setting up conditions for jobs that will work on all devices rather difficult, as I have to use risky and not very easily maintained "not a, b or c so must be x" logic. Also, it makes me worry that the device is not and/or will not be fully supported in DS. I know to my real monetary cost that they don't include node licences, but they do come with a DS client preinstalled so I'd expect it to work.

That, plus grappling with recently introduced VLANs on badly documented 3Com switches, is why I've not done any meaningful imaging since we started buying this model (images worked fine with other models and with PCs on our old class A network).

I've not raised a call with HP or Symantect about the inventory issue ... yet. Anyone else seen it?

• 6.  RE: DS 6.9 SP4 HP T5550's

Posted Jun 15, 2011 05:12 PM

Can you confirm if you found a fix for this issue - we are starting to rollout T5550 and DS is having issues.