Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  DS 6.9 SP5 - error 128 during job execution (on random step)

Posted Mar 18, 2014 04:55 AM

Hello,

I'd like to ask you out there if you have/had this issue with DS ? Seems like something is not working well. It started out of nowhere and it's occuring more and more preventing our swap operations. Only about 60% of the daily plan is done every day, the rest fails with this mysterious error.

I usually troubleshoot SMP so I have not much experience with DS. Can you let me know what I can check (apart from the Windows event logs) to get closer to this problem?

Or if you have a solution right away that would be a blast ;)

Thanks!

Petr

• 2.  RE: DS 6.9 SP5 - error 128 during job execution (on random step)

Posted Mar 18, 2014 01:44 PM

on random steps could mean ... a lot of things.  Error 128 "means" there wasn't a child process waiting - nonsence.  Maybe DB busy? Deadlocking?  There is logging for the DB but it can be and ... "interesting" challenge to decipher (If you thought the NS A.Logs were bad...)  See if you can find any sort of pattern.  Cut the # of clients in half, or roll it in waves and see if the problem goes away.  Watch system resources to see if during execution you see CPU spiking or something.  Check the windows logs on the destination systems to see if something ther.  That's where I'd start anyway...

• 3.  RE: DS 6.9 SP5 - error 128 during job execution (on random step)

Posted Mar 26, 2014 11:53 AM

Thanks for the hints Thomas! I will check it. Currently we have a case at Symantec support with this issue. Where did you get the description of the error 128? 

• 4.  RE: DS 6.9 SP5 - error 128 during job execution (on random step)

Posted Mar 26, 2014 04:11 PM

Ahhh - that was dumb - I didn't include the link.  Having worked inside for many years, I knew there were KB's with error codes in them, looked one up, and found that.  Then I was stupid and didn't post where, probably because it told me nothing.

If you still can't find it, let me know and I'll go dig it up again.  :D

• 5.  RE: DS 6.9 SP5 - error 128 during job execution (on random step)

Posted Mar 27, 2014 06:18 AM

OK found it.. Thanks!

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/altiris-microsoft-error-codes-and-descriptions

• 6.  RE: DS 6.9 SP5 - error 128 during job execution (on random step)

Posted Mar 28, 2014 12:23 PM

ok, so apparently our monitoring system went crazy and created a huge amount of cmd.exe processes (perhaps could not end them) and that's why DS had troubles creating it's own subprocesses at some level. Anyway this kb (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960266/en-us) we had already installed, even with higher version already..  I guess it was bigger amount of child processes than the operating system expected.

• 7.  RE: DS 6.9 SP5 - error 128 during job execution (on random step)

Posted Apr 02, 2014 01:15 AM

cool - i mean, not in a good way cool, but glad you found it!