Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  DS7.1 - DeployAnywhere and Intel 6200 AGN Wifi adapter

Posted Oct 04, 2010 08:20 AM

We use Deployment Solution 7.1 to deploy new images to our laptops and workstations

We are going to deploy Windows 7 32-bit to all our computers in the near future

I can deploy the ghost image of Windows 7 that I have made to all our computers except ones that has an Intel 6200 AGN Wifi adapter.

These computers also has an "Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection" adapter.

I have updated the WinPE bootimage with the Windows Vista drivers for "Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection", and for "Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN", and am now able to boot the computers into Automation.

In Automation I can only see the "Intel 82577LM" adapter when using ipconfig, so I assume that the driver for the wireless card is not loaded, but Automation works fine for tasks that I start from the deployment solution 7.1 webpage.

I have updated the DriversDB with new drivers for "Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection", and for "Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN"

ghDplyAw32 /target=D:\ /eval /ddb="Z:\Task Handler\DriversDB" shows:

Missing driver detected:

type = NETWORK DEVICE

PCI ID = PCI/VEN_8086&DEV_422C&SUBSYS_13218086&REV_35

Desc = @Oem12.inf,%nic_mpciex_6200agn_2x2_hmc%;Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN

and the deployment task stops.

Looking at the .inf file for the wifi driver, I can see the PCI ID in the file. It is a complete match except for the &REV_35.

The install section of the Windows 7 Intel 6200 AGN adapter inf file is referencing some files that is not in the folder, which is, I think, why it will not install the driver for the adapter.

The missing, but referenced file is: netvwifibus.inf

netvwifibus.inf references vwifibus.sys

Does anyone have a good idea what to do to either get this driver install working, or is there a way to make ghDplyAw32 skip the 6200 AGN adapter ???

• 2.  RE: DS7.1 - DeployAnywhere and Intel 6200 AGN Wifi adapter

Posted Oct 04, 2010 09:08 AM

I can think of a couple of things worth trying.

1) get an updated driver

2) modify the INF so that it matches what DA is looking for.  I've had to do that with printer drivers before and such where the INF and hardware didn't QUITE match and some program or another wanted that exact match.

I'd probably back up the drivers and modify them manually, then go from there.  But that's me.

• 3.  RE: DS7.1 - DeployAnywhere and Intel 6200 AGN Wifi adapter

Posted Oct 05, 2010 10:25 AM

Hello

I have downloaded the latest drivers from Dell, Lenovo and Intel, and tried to put them in the driverdb, but still no luck installing drivers from DeployAnywhere.

I also tried to modify the inf-files so that an exact match is made. I added &REV_35 to the line in the inf file, and added the drivers to the driversdb again. It is still not finding the network adapter.

Is there a way to tell DeployAnywhere to skip installing the driver for a certain PCI ID ???

I would be happy to just have the wired net adapter recognised and my installation to continue.

I read somewhere that with a ghost solution, there is a manifest-file where you can put PCI ID's that should not be checked, but it was not described so that I can find where to put the file, and what to write in it.

Also the links describe ghost solution, and not Deployment Solution 7.1, but looking at Deployment Solution 7.1 and seeing that it uses ghost, I would think that the manifest file could be applied to the Deployment Solution 7.1 system.

Links to the 2 articles talking about ghost and skipping non-essential hardware in the processes.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/skippcimanifesttxt-problems-dell-755

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-resolve-quotdrivers-could-not-be-found-preos-following-devicesquot

If anyone has any good ideas what to try to get my imaging working, please help...

• 4.  RE: DS7.1 - DeployAnywhere and Intel 6200 AGN Wifi adapter

Posted Oct 05, 2010 06:20 PM

What if you simply don't use DA?

• 5.  RE: DS7.1 - DeployAnywhere and Intel 6200 AGN Wifi adapter

Posted Oct 06, 2010 05:18 AM

I could do that, but then I would have to add drivers in some other manual way.

I saw DeployAnywhere to be something smart to help me, but apparently not.

If I am going to add drivers to the image, is there a best way to do so manually ???

• 6.  RE: DS7.1 - DeployAnywhere and Intel 6200 AGN Wifi adapter

Posted Oct 06, 2010 08:56 AM

No, we do want you to use DeployAnywhere, and frankly, it's getting a major face-lift in the next release to utilize all device drivers, not just NIC and Mass Storage.

I am not aware of how to tell it to skip a single driver unfortunately, though I'll try to ask around.

I'm not aware of how to "make it" think you have the right drivers either, though again, I'll ask around.

:(

Anyone else out here know?  If not, well, we'll see who we can find.

• 7.  RE: DS7.1 - DeployAnywhere and Intel 6200 AGN Wifi adapter
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 06, 2010 09:37 AM

I use DA mainly for the AHCI and HAL benefits, but this isn't relevant for Win7.

If you'd like to install drivers in WinPE after Ghost but before Sysprep, try dism.

Dism.exe /image:D:\ /add-driver /driver:D:\Drivers /recurse /forceunsigned

D: is your production OS drive letter (C is usually mapped as the boot volume in WinPE). D:\Drivers is where your drivers are located (this can be a network share). Unlike WinXP, this will recursively scan all subfolders for drivers.

You'll need to copy dism from a Win7 machine to your express share. I put mine in eXpress\WAIK\Tools\x86

For more info: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744355(WS.10).aspx

• 8.  RE: DS7.1 - DeployAnywhere and Intel 6200 AGN Wifi adapter

Posted Oct 11, 2010 07:03 AM

Ended up NOT using DeployAnywhere as it is useless for the things I need to do.

Running a script that checks the hardware model and uses DISM to run through drivers for that model is what I ended up with.

And another script for installing drivers with programs after the machine has bootet in to Windows 7.

I still think it is a shame that DeployAnywhere is not able to cope with Windows 7 and some of the newer Wifi adapters, and that there is no way to tell the system to skip certain hardware ID's