Dynamic Mirrored Quorum Disk
Hi Everyone - another question about Dynamic Mirrored Quorum Disks on SFW & campus clusters:
I understand the procedure for setting up MS Failover Cluster on SFW is to first establish the Microsoft Failover cluster, then install SFW. After installing SFW, I can create a dynamic mirrored quorum disk.
It seems to me that I would need to reserve a "temporary quorum" volume on an array first; as the MS Failover Cluster will not function without a quorum disk. After that, I can use two other volumes (one on each array, or four if following recommendations) to create my dynamic mirrored quorum, switch the MS Cluster Quorum Resource to the SFW dynamic mirrored quorum volume, and then remove the initial "temporary" quorum disk.
1. Create temporary basic disk quorum volume on array
2. Set up MS Failover Cluster, with basic quorum disk.
3. Install SFW
4. Create SFW dynamic mirrored quorum from 2 additional volumes (one on each array)
5. Switch MS Failover Cluster quorum resource from basic disk (temp volume) to SFW dynamic mirrored quorum resource.
6. The temporary basic disk quorum volume on the array can be deleted.
1. In practice, do I really need a temporary basic disk quorum followed by a dynamic one? Is there a way to re-use the temporary basic disk quorum as one half of the dynamic mirrored quorum, or will I have to ask my SAN team to configure a total of 3 volumes and then delete one of them after I'm done with the set-up?
2. I read that the quorum should have drive letter Q:, if Q: is in use by the basic quorum when I configure the dynamic quorum volume, how can I make sure that the dynamic quorum disk will have drive letter Q:?