Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

e000959a - An attempt to take a snapshot of a virtual machine failed because it was unable to quiesce an application

Created: 28 Nov 2012 | 8 comments

When doing backups of VM servers I get the following error and some of my backups don't comlete.

e000959a - An attempt to take a snapshot of a virtual machine failed because it was unable to quiesce an application

This happens with both Full backups and Differentials.  I am running Backup Exec 2012 fully patched.  The VMWare environment is version 5.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

I hope that you are not using ESX 5.1 because it is not supported.

See whether you can take a manual snapshot of the machine.

mike915's picture

@Imosla,  I do not have the remote agent installed on any of the Virtual servers.  I am using the VMWare agent on the media server to do the backups.

@pkh,  We are running ESX 5.

lmosla's picture

Is GRT enabled for your backups?  If it is make sure you install the Remote Agent on the guest machine (s).

rendersr's picture

I think I've seen this error before. Are you using a snapshotting technology based on VSS? Is it taking a backup at the same time?

On one of the failed machines can you perform the following commands and give us the output?

vssadmin list writers

vssadmin list providers

villeah's picture

I solved similar problem by stopping and disabling following services on guest machines

BackupExecVSSProvider
VMware Snapshot Provider

This of cource depends on which snapshot provider you are using.