Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

e000fe09 The directory is invalid

Created: 22 Apr 2009 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 4 comments

Windows 2003 SP2 fully updated
Backup Exec 12.5 Rev 2213

I am getting the E000FE09 The Directory is invalid errors on jobs that have run fine in the past.   I can create new jobs with same result.  The directory is valid and the data has not changed location.

This will happen when I backup my file server with 1.4 TB's of data.  It will run through everthing, verify and then bam error message and failed.  In the case of the 1.4TB it runs for about 17 hours which is normal.
So the full backup jobs for this data fail, the differential jobs fail, everything is the same.

On server that has backup exec installed, I also have a scsi external storage device where my exchange backups go (they luckily are not failing).  So the backups are going fine to disk, but when I go to copy say three old image files from that disk to tape, I will get E000FE09 The directory is invalid.... and this is all on the same physical system.

Based of it failing on the same system, it makes me think there is something wrong with the Backup Exec instead of something being wrong with where the data is.

Everything I have read so far about "The directory is invalid," hasn't been helpful.

These jobs run and everything looks fine, even goes through a few tapes depending on how large the data is, but then after the verify it fails.  I have also even tried not verifying, but that didn't help.  The test run also works fine on the jobs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is the first time using this forum for support.

Thanks,
KevinS

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

chicojrman's picture

You want to track down the directorys that are giving you the issues and unselect them from the job.

kevins74's picture

This is happenning on two different servers that have data being backed up.  For example  The backup server itself can't back up on a drive on the backup server img000219, img000220, and img000221.  Says invalid directory.

On the file server, there is a data folder with hundred of file/folders underneath it.  All you do is check the data folder and everything underneath it gets checked.  This will say directory invalid, so trying to find a possible folder having problems isn't possible.

Also, the fact that it runs the whole job, verify, etc... and then fails doesn't make sense.   If the directory was invalid then it should fail immediately, not show in the job history as the job is running it backing up all the data.

Not sure what it is, but I think it is more then just a bad directory.

Thanks

Ken Putnam's picture

Also, the fact that it runs the whole job, verify, etc... and then fails doesn't make sense. If the directory was invalid then it should fail immediately,

So if you have multiple servers or shares selected in a single job, you would rather the whole job FAIL and stop if there is a problem with the first selection, without attempting  to backup any other data?

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

kevins74's picture

Not exactly, but really it going through the whole proces and failing without really giving any detail on exactly what it failed on is not very helpful either.  If I had my way, it would back up everything and say.  Everything was a complete success except this one folder/file/directory, etc...  Tough going forward feeling confident about a backup anytime the word failed is shown.

I think what you might be talking about is when it says success with exceptions, which at least shows you why.   Not having a clear answer on why it failed doesn't help much.