Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

E6410 Windows 7 - "Connection Reset by Client"

• 1.  E6410 Windows 7 - "Connection Reset by Client"

Posted Dec 22, 2010 05:54 PM

I have a strange issue and I'm sure it's something in the config but here it goes. I receive Windows 7 built E6410 machines from Dell but image our own Windows 7 Image over the top of it.

1 - Unicast our own Windows 7 Image and at the end it bombs out. On the Server GhostCast Console I see the only indication of an error that says "Connection Reset by Client". On the E6410 side it closes ghost and leaves me with a cmd prompt.

2- To resolve I have to change the directory to X:\Ghost and type in Ghost32 <enter> to get ghost to come back up.

3 - I then do the same unicast with the same image from the same source and it completes fine.

Is there something going on with the finalization of the partitions? Or has anyone else experienced this issue?

Ghost Solutions Suite Version 2.5(11.5.1.2266)

Note: I am not trying to push/pull from the Ghost Console but just straight GhostCasting.

• 2.  RE: E6410 Windows 7 - "Connection Reset by Client"

Posted Dec 23, 2010 05:06 AM

Are you taking any steps to remove ALL existing partitions on the DELL machines before imaging?  If not, it is likely that the additional maintenance partitions on the DELL are messing with the deployment.

• 3.  RE: E6410 Windows 7 - "Connection Reset by Client"

Posted Dec 27, 2010 12:03 PM

You could script the Gdisk\gdisk32 tool to wipe out the partitons prior to loading the ghost\ghost32.exe so that it would be a clean drive prior to laying down the image.

cheers.

• 4.  RE: E6410 Windows 7 - "Connection Reset by Client"

Posted Jan 04, 2011 06:35 PM

I'd prefer to leave the diagnostic partition that is pre-installed as these could be used for self diagnostics at my remote locations.

I just imaged up 2 identical 780 machines and got the following -

So how come one reset and the other didn't? Could it be that the first one completed was reset and the 2nd wasn't?

If the partitions were messing with the deployment shouldn't both of these have failed?

• 5.  RE: E6410 Windows 7 - "Connection Reset by Client"

Posted Jan 04, 2011 06:49 PM

Hi Friend,

The evidence image in the previous post  shows a comparitively lesser speed of transfer for your ghost cast session. Make sure that you have added latest drivers to your boot disk. Make sure that you are using WinPE as your Pre-OS. Make use of the following link to get updated drivers:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/latest-vista-version-drivers-use-gss

Please let me know how this goes.

Regards,

Dilip Sebastian

• 6.  RE: E6410 Windows 7 - "Connection Reset by Client"

Posted Jan 05, 2011 09:09 PM

I also have the "Connection Reset by Client" issue.  Mine seems to occur when I am trying to create an image, I have not had it happen when restoring an image.  I'm also creating the image on a Dell E6410 and when running the unicast it bombs out anywhere from 25-75%, then, if I do the same thing as TechOne and run ghost32 from X:/Ghost I can start it up again and it will complete successfully the second time around.  I've tried wiping out all partitions including the diagnostic partition, I am using WinPE for my boot disk and I have the latest drivers.  I'm using the same version of GSS as TechOne (11.5.1.2266).  My transfer speeds run around 500mb/sec.  I don't seem to be having the same problem when restoring images only when creating them.  I've imaged many of the Optiplex 780's without any problems.  I'm going to try mulitcasting a few E6410's with the image I just created to see how that goes.

• 7.  RE: E6410 Windows 7 - "Connection Reset by Client"

Posted Jan 06, 2011 06:46 AM

If the results with the E6410 prove variable, how about checking whether there is any correlation with bios version or NIC chipset version ?

• 8.  RE: E6410 Windows 7 - "Connection Reset by Client"

Posted May 31, 2011 02:15 PM

To isolate this issue, without success, I have done the following:

- Different Models (Optiplex 780/790, Latitude E6410,E6420)

- Updated Network and SATA drivers

- Different Network Speed (100MB/s and 1GP/s) and I see this issue consistantly.

If I manually bomb out the imaging process while unicasting/multicasting and restart the process it works on the "first complete pass"

Please let me know if there is a log I can send to Symantec they can analyze this issue as I haven't found the answer as of yet.

• 9.  RE: E6410 Windows 7 - "Connection Reset by Client"

Posted Jun 01, 2011 02:49 AM

If you have opened a support call, they will advise you of any information they need to assist in diagnosis.

If you have not opened a support call, then there is nowhere to send the log at Symantec that can do anything with it.

As a separate consideration, what network hardware exists between your Ghost server and Ghost client?

• 10.  RE: E6410 Windows 7 - "Connection Reset by Client"

Posted Jun 27, 2011 04:30 PM

Thanks EdT for the response -

Your concerns for the type of hardware between the devices has been tested. I have even installed the Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 on a mobile system and tried over a local network with just the Imaging Server, Cisco/Juniper Switch, over known good cables.

I probably just do a support call and see if I can get this resolved as it adds so much time to our processes. If all goes well a solution will be posted once found and tested.