Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Eject a Tape Media From STK sl3000 tape library (data on it )

Created: 28 Sep 2012 • Updated: 12 Oct 2012 | 8 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

i want to confirm if the following two scenario is true about Eject a Tape Media From STK sl3000 tape library ,but there was data backup on that tape i want to keep it.

1-select the tape media from it pool > right click > eject

2-if the 1st step failed or giving an error i will move the tape from its slot to specific drive >the eject it physically @ tape library.

is there are any other scenario or proceed ?!

Symantic Product Name: Symantec Netbackup

Product Version: 7.0.1

Operating System: HP-UX 11iv3

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

Marianne's picture

I am not sure I understand your question...

Step 1 is how you should eject a tape. This way the robot status as well as NBU will be up to date.

If step 1 fails, you need to troubleshoot and find the reason for failure. Check library logs as well as OS system logs.

Step 2 is unclear about how exactly you intend to remove the tape when it is in a drive. Do you plan to open the robot door, physically press eject button and remove it like that? 
Why go to that extreme if you can use robtest to move tape to the CAP? (I guess your intention is to use robtest to move tape from slot to drive?)

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

A.M.Ash.'s picture

for Step 1  yes i do it before but it gives me the message that the process is done with error but i do not know what is that error ...  also for OS system logs what command do you want me to run ?.

for Step 2 yes if step 1 failed   i want to run robtest and move tape to drive

i.e.  m s138 d2

then open tape library door and eject tape.

but as you said can i move tape direct from slot to CAP using robtest without opening the door ..  if so how to do that what commands in robtest to do this task ?!

Marianne's picture

Check /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log.

To ensure all Media Manager-related actions and errors are logged to syslog, add this on a new line in /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf:
VERBOSE

Restart NBU to enable verbose logging.

If you can, please take screenshots of each step next time you eject a tape up to where you see the error message. Please post screenshots as File attachments.

Let us rather troubleshoot eject process before trying any other means.

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

A.M.Ash.'s picture

thanks Marianne  .. i will do that ,

but i want to confirm that the data on tape be secured when do the 2nd step "move the tape from its slot to specific drive >the eject it physically @ tape library by opening the T L door and eject tape. ?

also how to move tape direct from slot to CAP using robtest without opening the door ?

mph999's picture

The data is secure on the tape when ejected, I can't image why it wouldn't be, providing you don't drop it ...

m sxx pyy

In robtest :

'd' is drive

's' is slot

'p' is port, a port is a slot in the cap/map

Martin

Regards,  Martin

Setting Logs in NetBackup:
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75805

A.M.Ash.'s picture

ok for listing all drive on TL we run :

s d

but how to list Cap/Map port num

is it : s p

mph999's picture

Yes exactly correct 

Regards,  Martin

Setting Logs in NetBackup:
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75805

Andy Welburn's picture

Sorry I just want to re-visit this currently un-solved discussion.

I was curious about, & wanted to possibly clarify, the statement regarding your ejects 'failing':

the message that the process is done with error

The eject can throw up errors just by 'normal' usage if you're not clear on exactly what the eject procedure is doing at what point, but it would depend upon exactly what error(s) you are receiving as to whether this is 'normal' or not.

'Normal' errors can be replicated as follows:

1. Right-click media & click eject
  2. In "Eject Volumes" window click eject. Status column states "Media eject in progress"
  3. On "Remove ejected media ... Do you wish to continue with the eject?" pop-up click [Yes]
  4. You then get "Eject aborted" and "The eject operation has completed with errors"

- this results in the media being returned to the library slot from whence it came & can happen if you 'ignore' the message in the "Eject Volumes" window in the "Status" column to "Remove media". I say 'ignore' but it's probably more like "miss" as this can often be covered by the pop-up window that appears at stage 4 above.

The correct procedure should be:

1. As above
  2. As above
  3. Either: remove media from library CAP & then click [Yes] to "...continue with eject"
  4. Or: click [No] & then remove media from library CAP

- in both cases (3 & 4) the library contents from NB's perspective is that the media is now ejected (either in your hand (3) or in the CAP (4) )

..... or it could be that you're getting other error messages, you didn't say!

SOLUTION