Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Elitebook 2570p booted from PXE for Windows 7 Ghost image creation, but it cannot get IP from DHCP.

Posted Dec 05, 2012 01:50 PM

I'm trying to image a Windows 7 with company standard software installed.

Ghost is our choice, and the Ghost is running on Windows 7 Professional in a VM environment.

The method is to use PC-DOS with Ghost application via PXE boot.

The client PC is a laptop, HP Elitebook 2570p.

I changed BIOS setting of SATA ACHI to SATA IDE for Ghost imaging.

Network boot is enabled, there is a DHCP router, and PXE boot is successful from the laptop.

Once Ghost.exe is up, I can choose an option from menu such as 'Multicast' or 'Single Cast.'

After choosing one of the options, the PC cannot get IP from DHCP..

Any suggestions?

• 2.  RE: Elitebook 2570p booted from PXE for Windows 7 Ghost image creation, but it cannot get IP from DHCP.

Posted Dec 05, 2012 02:33 PM

Since Ghost is loaded under DOS via the PXE boot process, it presumably already has a valid IP address.

>Once Ghost.exe is up, I can choose an option from menu such as 'Multicast' or 'Single Cast.'

Is the menu on the client or the server?

>After choosing one of the options, the PC cannot get IP from DHCP..

Which one of the options?

Failure to get an IP address from DHCP usually signifies that the NIC driver has not loaded correctly.

What version of Ghost Solution Suite are you using?

• 3.  RE: Elitebook 2570p booted from PXE for Windows 7 Ghost image creation, but it cannot get IP from DHCP.

Posted Dec 05, 2012 02:55 PM

>Since Ghost is loaded under DOS via the PXE boot process, it presumably already has a valid IP address.

That's why I'm in wonder.

>>Once Ghost.exe is up, I can choose an option from menu such as 'Multicast' or 'Single Cast.'

>Is the menu on the client or the server?

Since the laptop is PXE booted with Ghost package, Ghost.exe is executed on the client side.

>>After choosing one of the options, the PC cannot get IP from DHCP..

>Which one of the options?

'Multicast' or 'Single Cast'

>Failure to get an IP address from DHCP usually signifies that the NIC driver has not loaded correctly.

I think so. That's what I need to know.

>What version of Ghost Solution Suite are you using?

Ghost 11.5.1.2266

• 4.  RE: Elitebook 2570p booted from PXE for Windows 7 Ghost image creation, but it cannot get IP from DHCP.

Posted Dec 05, 2012 05:29 PM

I tried alternative method in Ghost, WinPE instead of PS-DOS, to solve the problem.

But still it needs additional steps.

1. I copied the target laptop NIC driver and Storage driver to Ghost WinPE option.

2. When client PC booted, a command prompt shows. It says "sending status, acknowledge by server..."

3. There is another command prompt showing X drive, where I choose X drive as boot image.

4. Go to X:\Ghost directory, then execute Ghost32.exe

5. Ghostcast function now works.