Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Email attachment/body scanning, SEP 12.1.2

Posted Dec 11, 2014 09:57 AM
    • SEP manager 12.1 RU2 on a Windows server 2008  (with latest updates).
    • SEP12.1 RU2  client on a Windows 7 32bit operating system.
    • Outlook 2007 with a Hotmail MAPI type email (connected by using the 'Outlook connector' add on).
    • Auto-Protect is enabled as well as 'Internet Email Auto-Protection'.
    • No Microsoft Exchange Server.

My Questions: 

1. The client is not able to scan the message body of my incoming/outgoing email. Im testing this by sending the EICAR text stringIs it even posible to scan the message body voor Internet Email that uses a MAPI type? If yes, how?

2. Is is posible to notify the user when email message body contains link manipulation techniques? Techniques that display a different link in the message body then it sends the user to. 

3. Is it possible to scan email attachments by opening the email? Instead of scanning when opening the attachment.

Thanks! 

• 2.  RE: Email attachment/body scanning, SEP 12.1.2
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 11, 2014 10:00 AM

It only scans attachments. For scans of Lotus Notes and Microsoft Exchange email, Auto-Protect scans only the attachments that are associated with email.

You can send the user a notification if a virus is detected.

POP3 or SMTP communications protocols, you can configure the client software to scan incoming and outgoing messages for risks.

About SEP auto-protect and email scanning

• 3.  RE: Email attachment/body scanning, SEP 12.1.2

Posted Dec 11, 2014 10:21 AM

Email feature of SEP works when the attachment is downloaded to the local cached, once downloaded Auto protect will scan it, no other use apart from this,

if you are using Symantec web mail security there is no need for email auto protect

• 4.  RE: Email attachment/body scanning, SEP 12.1.2

Posted Dec 11, 2014 10:30 AM

Thanks Brian. 

I configured a different email account using POP3 and indeed automatic scanning of attachment and scanning the message body works!!  But why doesn't Symantec Endpoint Protection support MAPI type emails? I know compatitor products do! 

Thanks!

• 5.  RE: Email attachment/body scanning, SEP 12.1.2

Posted Dec 11, 2014 10:32 AM

Not sure, just not they're yet for whatever reason.

• 6.  RE: Email attachment/body scanning, SEP 12.1.2

Posted Dec 11, 2014 10:33 AM

For any advanced mail protection, you will need to opt to Messaging Gateway.... SEP only scans when the atttachment is downloaded...