Desktop Email Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  EMail Cert Causing Outlook 2010 on Win8 to Freeze

Posted Jan 15, 2013 12:54 PM

I purchased a Digital Cert for EMail encryption from Symantec and followed the process for installation.  I can see the cert in both the IE10 Internet Options as well as the Outlook 2010 Trust Center.  The problem comes when attempting to send any email with the Digital Signature option enabled for an email.  Sending the email causes Outlook to freeze and have to be restarted.  This is consistenmt behavior until I disable the Digital Signature option.  Once disabled, email flows just fine.  Is there a possibility that the installation process did not work properly?  There were no real information messages displayed by the web site during installation, so it is difficult to ascerain whether installation in both the browser (IE10) and the email client (Outlook 2010) worked properly.  Would appreciate any suggestions or pointers to validate the installation.  Thanks.

Toby Pennycuff

• 2.  RE: EMail Cert Causing Outlook 2010 on Win8 to Freeze

Posted Apr 18, 2013 11:39 AM

Have there been any updates?  I continue to experience this problem and cannot use my cert that I purchased.

Toby Pennycuff

• 3.  RE: EMail Cert Causing Outlook 2010 on Win8 to Freeze

Posted Apr 30, 2013 12:22 AM

Hi,

I regret to inform you that we do not have Windows 8 support with the current release version as of April 2013. We plan to have full Windows 8 support with Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3.1.

In the meantime, we can offer to provide best effort support for your issue. 

What features are you using Symantec Encryption Desktop for? If you plan to use Email Encryption in Symantec Encryption Desktop I would actually recommend either disabling the digital certificate option in Outlook 2010 and using Symantec Encryption Desktop to import your x509 Digital Certificate as an wrapper key to your PGP desktop encryption key. This will enable you to use Symantec Encryption Desktop for S/MIME encryption and digitally signing of emails.  Or you could disable all messaging components as part of the installation of Symantec Encryption Desktop and use the digital certificate option in Outlook.

I think those two options don't usually work together.

• 4.  RE: EMail Cert Causing Outlook 2010 on Win8 to Freeze

Posted Apr 30, 2013 09:06 AM

It's shocking that Symantec does not yet support Windows 8.  I have no intention of acquiring the Encryption Desktop product.  All I need is an email cert - just like I have had in the past for Windows 7/Outlook 2010.  Your proposed solution is simply ludicrous.  I will be asking for a refund of my money.

RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!

Toby Pennycuff

• 5.  RE: EMail Cert Causing Outlook 2010 on Win8 to Freeze

Posted May 29, 2013 10:08 PM

I agree.   I just purchased a Symantec email certificate for my Outlook 2013 / Windows 8 Enterprise and the same thing happens to me.   I cannot send emails.   Only by deleting the certificate can I send emails.   There is nothing on the purchase site for the Symantec Email Certificate that warns it will not work in Windows 8 (if there is, it is not plainly stated) .   

I too will be requesting a refund.   Get with the program Symantec - there is no reason for a company of your size not supporting Windows 8 by now.

• 6.  RE: EMail Cert Causing Outlook 2010 on Win8 to Freeze

Posted Jun 24, 2013 12:27 PM

I have since re-read this post. The problem does not appear to be PGP/Symantec Encryption Desktop related at all. It appears you may just be using an S/MIME email encryption certificate with Outlook 2010.

Is that correct? If so, please request to have this forum thread moved to a different group as this forum group is for Symantec Encryption Desktop (formerly PGP Desktop) email encryption related issues.