Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Email error 250 - popup

Posted Aug 31, 2016 11:23 AM

Hi,

we're currently experiencing an issue with sending emails from several different computers in our company.

When we send an email from Microsoft Outlook 2016 a few seconds later we see on our screen a Symantec popup:

"Email error

250-"

Below this message there is a recap of "from" address, "to" address and "subject" and the "OK" button.

Nothing else.

I need your kind help to solve this issue.

Maybe deactivating the spam check on OUTBOUND emails could solve this, but it seems from my symantec cloud control panel that I can just switch on or off the email protection (which is NOT an option because the client endpoint protection would become useless in that case).

Thank you in advance!

• 2.  RE: Email error 250 - popup

Posted Aug 31, 2016 11:26 AM

Do you have the Oulook email scanning plugin enabled?

• 3.  RE: Email error 250 - popup

Posted Aug 31, 2016 11:30 AM

The Norton Antispam Outlook Plugin is currently enabled on the affected workstations.

If I disable that, will I still be protected by viruses in incoming emails?

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Email error 250 - popup

Posted Aug 31, 2016 11:39 AM

Only if you have an external email gateway doing the scanning. If you rely soley on this plugin then you won't be protected.

But as a test I wanted to see if it works as expected with it temporarily disabled. This has been a known problem with this plugin in the past though.

Do you have a screenshot of the message?

• 5.  RE: Email error 250 - popup

Posted Aug 31, 2016 11:47 AM
      |   view attached

It seems that now we don't see the popup anymore.

Anyway the symantec endpoint on clients is the only protection we have on inbound emails, so following your words I cannot keep it disabled.

I attached a screenshot (of course I removed subject and addresses).

Since this is a known problem, is there a patch or is Symantec planning a fix for this?

If it does not change, I should find another email protection solution.

• 6.  RE: Email error 250 - popup

Posted Aug 31, 2016 11:51 AM

Here is Symantec's official KB article on it:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH235165

I would suggest getting in touch with support to see what else can be done. The provided solutions are not ideal, IMO.

• 7.  RE: Email error 250 - popup

Posted Aug 31, 2016 12:01 PM

Thanks Brian.

I read the KB article but the error message is a bit different from the one I posted.

In my error description I can just see "250-" instead in the KB it refers to this error description

"Your email message was unable to be sent because the connection to your mail server was interrupted. Please open your email client and re-send the message from the Sent Messages folder.".

So I'm not sure it's exactly the same issue.

In any case, I was curious about option 3:

Change e-mail settings (SMTP server) to use an alternate port. (Only incoming email will be scanned.)

It would be fine for me to scan only incoming emails.

But what should I do? Should I change the account settings and enter which setting?

The SMTP port was automatically set by Outlook when it spoke to the server the first time. Which port should I enter and what would change? I think the symantec plugin would check the outlook port anyway.

Thanks again for your support!

• 8.  RE: Email error 250 - popup

Posted Aug 31, 2016 01:00 PM

If the port settings are changed, SEP should recognize the change but I'm not familar with Exchange so I can't say for sure on how to configure it.