Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Embedded service missing after upgrade from SEP 12.1.1 to SEP 12.1.2

Posted Apr 11, 2013 08:09 AM

The initial issue reported was Symantec Embedded service failed to start, however after a reboot to the server, the Embedded service was up and running, however the SEPM service yet failed to start.

Executed a repair on the SEPM from add/remove programs, however detected some unknown file to be corrupt or missing and thus asked for Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.msi file. Unfortunately, did not have the setup for SEP 12.1.1 thus, was forced to download the SEP 12.1.2 published on 8thApril2013 by Symantec.Upon directing to the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.msi from this version, it failed to detect as the compatible source and thus had to cancel the repair.

The next that we treid was direct intiation of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.msi from the latest build and overwrite the settings. However, after the intial installation wizard, i expected the Management configuration wizard to self pop up, however the same failed and i had to manually launch the same.

Since then, it is not been determining the server port "8443" by default and is stating that "The server port you chose is not used by the database server. "

After which the following has been tried and looked upon :

1. There is no instance of SymantecEndpointProtection in ODBC system DSN.

2. DB force has been tried using dbsrv12.exe -f command

3. Backup and Restore wizard of DB fails.

4.Server.xml has been looked for Server port which shows "8765" and upon configuring the same in Management configuration wizard, makes no difference.

5. DBvalidator has been initiated but the same does not create dbvalidator logs in the logs folder.

6. The registry key for DB port change (2638 to 2639) is not available either.

7.Out.log gives no error message, however there are quite a few .err files in the "tomcat\logs "location:

8. The importpackage folder has grown to more than10GB.

Any inputs/suggestions/fixes are appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Embedded service missing after upgrade from SEP 12.1.1 to SEP 12.1.2

Posted Apr 11, 2013 08:43 AM

I would suggest to open a case with support.

• 3.  RE: Embedded service missing after upgrade from SEP 12.1.1 to SEP 12.1.2

Posted Apr 11, 2013 08:50 AM

Do you have any previous backups of the DB + the settings backup (keystore file etc.) ? If yes I would recommend the reinstall SEPM 12.1.1 and proceed with Disaster Recovery importing the old database Backup:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH160736

• 4.  RE: Embedded service missing after upgrade from SEP 12.1.1 to SEP 12.1.2

Posted Apr 11, 2013 12:12 PM

Hi Manish,

Had the same issue with one of our customers. the embedded database service was not visible in the services.msc console.

the reason was there was another software which had the same AdaptiveServerAnyware.

If you check the odbc you will find another adaptive server

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103990

what we did was to install Symantec endpoint on different port.

do a netstat -ano you will find another service which will be listening on port 8443.. Please confirm.

I have resolved a similar issue and will be happy to assit you :) 

• 5.  RE: Embedded service missing after upgrade from SEP 12.1.1 to SEP 12.1.2

Posted Apr 12, 2013 05:03 AM

Hi

Can you just try to repair

Regards