Video Screencast Help
Scheduled Maintenance: Symantec Connect is scheduled to be down Saturday, April 19 from 10am to 2pm Pacific Standard Time (GMT: 5pm to 9pm) for server migration and upgrades.
Please accept our apologies in advance for any inconvenience this might cause.

Employee ID Requirement in Symantec CMDB

Created: 23 Jan 2012 • Updated: 10 Oct 2012 | 2 comments

We're just getting started with the CMDB and I'm looking for advice on how to meet the employee ID requirement when it is optional for our customers.

We have about 11,000 users - I have been able to successfully use the connector solution to update details about the users. BUT if I try to manually edit a user I get a message stating the Employee ID is a required field.

Only about 30% of our customers actually have a true employee id.  The other 70% either work for some of our companies that do not assign a employee ID or a private company that also does not assign a employee ID.  I know this is crazy but requiring a employee ID is simply not a option.

In the past with other systems I have figured out a way to remove the requirement for certain data elements.  It looks like Employee ID is a system requirement and that I would not want to remove this Data Class or Associations because it is also important for system processes.

Does anyone else have 'employees' without employee ID's and how have you worked around this?

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

Triinu Gross's picture

An easy workaround is to go to Settings > Notification Server > Resource and Data Class Settings > Resource Types > Organizational Types > User and uncheck the Employee ID checkbox (see the screen below). After you uncheck this data class, the field does not appear in the Edit Configuration Item window, and you will no longer get an error message when you try to edit/save the user without an employee ID.

However, I am not sure how it influences the associations or reports that are connected to the User configuration item. I will try to find that out for you.

If your issue has been addressed, please use the "Mark as Solution" link for the relevant thread.

Triinu Gross's picture

Looks like there is no core functionality that would be broken by not specifying the EmployeeID. Resource associations are not based on EmployeeID.

Problems might appear when you create a custom report that uses the Employee ID, or want to use EmployeeID in Data Connector rules.

If your issue has been addressed, please use the "Mark as Solution" link for the relevant thread.