Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  ems connection detected on a Windows 2003 STD 64bit

Posted Oct 07, 2011 02:59 PM

I have this same problem as below but using MS Windows 2003 STD 64bit. I have used this same image on another test system i have and never had this issue before. using the same servers. (Dell PowerEdge R710)

The restore of the image works without problems, but after booting the Dell PowerEdge R710 server
    we (after windows get in the gui) get a dialog "ems connection detected". Normally
    you can press the OK button, but it did not work.

Any idea to get this server to boot the image

i did tried the solution below. but in the c:\SYSPREP folder there is only a clear log txt and nothing else????? is there any way else i can remove the Unattended. also i am using Ghost to do this. Thanks  

There are two approaches that has seem to have worked with our customers having this Emergency Management Services (EMS) issue after a retargeting restore. First, prior to the restore attempt, check - and then if able to  - disable EMS from within the BIOS on the target system (the system you are restoring to), boot back into the recovery environment, wipe the drives, and perform the Restore Anyware retargeting restore. Second approach is to re-perform the restore choosing not to reboot afterwards. In the Symantec Recovery Environment main page, move your cursor to the upper left corner of the screen near the letter S in Symantec When the arrow icon changes to a hand icon, left-click to open a command prompt. In the command window, type Notepad.exe and press enter. From its FILE menu choose open and navigate to the \sysprep sub-folder on the system drive that has just been restored. In the Unattended section of your sysprep.inf add as an additional line: EMSSkipUnattendProcessing=1

Save your changes and allow the system to reboot to finish the PnP and mini-setup wizard process.

• 2.  RE: ems connection detected on a Windows 2003 STD 64bit

Posted Oct 09, 2011 04:08 AM

I have a couple of suggestions.

First of all, check that both your DELL machines have the same bios settings and the same bios release.

Secondly, check that the hardware in both DELL machines is the same - DELL have something of a reputation for changing internal components if they run out of stocks when building machines, so it is not impossible that your machine may have different types of hard disk or video controller. This can then cause imaging problems due to hardware mismatch.  Check that the hard disks are in the same state as your successful imaging - so remove any utility or recovery partitions if appropriate. Also, if you have RAID disk arrays - are they configured identically in the system bioses?