File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Encryption Desktop 10.3.2 MP10 with Windows 10 1511 update

Posted Nov 16, 2015 12:09 PM

The Windows 10 1511 update is starting to get pushed out to desktops.  I have Encryption Desktop 10.3.2 MP10 with full disk encryption.  The Windows 10 1511 update downloads and prepares to install, but in the reboot phase, it fails without any explanation.  This is the only laptop that this is happening on, and the only one running Ecryption Desktop, so I'm assuming that may have something to do with it.  Have you guys been able to do any testing with this latest Windows 10 update?

Thanks,

Mike

• 2.  RE: Encryption Desktop 10.3.2 MP10 with Windows 10 1511 update

Posted Nov 16, 2015 01:36 PM

Not to sound like a "me too!" post, but I can confirm that on the only system with Symantec Desktop Encryption and Windows 10, I also cannot complete the upgrade to Windows 10 1511 build 10586.  The 1511 update downloads and starts to perform pre-installation steps before rebooting.  Once rebooted, instead of continuing with the update, I am taken to the Windows 10 diagnostic/safe mode screen.  Once I exit this screen, my system boots into Windows without performing the update. 

Since this is only happening on the system with SDE, I assume it has something to do with it.  I understand that I could remove the encryption, remove the custom Symantec bootloader and essentially put it back later, but this is a time-consuming and laborious process.  Hopefully Symantec can address this and release a fix for SDE that deals with this issue.

-V

• 3.  RE: Encryption Desktop 10.3.2 MP10 with Windows 10 1511 update

Posted Nov 16, 2015 03:45 PM

Hi V,

That's exactly what I ended up doing.  I decrypted, ran the update, and encrypted again.  What a hassle...

Mike

• 4.  RE: Encryption Desktop 10.3.2 MP10 with Windows 10 1511 update
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 17, 2015 11:56 AM

As far as I can tell, it seems like the Windows update is actually pushed as an "upgrade" instead.  It is around 3GB, and seems to mirror the process of the original Windows 10 upgrade (e.g. upgrading from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10).  It creates the familiar Windows.old folder you get from a complete Windows reinstall.  Instead of issuing warnings about software, however, this update actually removes some software and tells you after it completes.  Since it can't remove protected files that deal with the encryption (which it is probably trying to remove), the update will fail.  Much preferable to completing and then not having the encryption keys any longer to access the disk.

I am going to try to find the time to test a couple things, including trying the Windows upgrade script that allowed users to go from Windows 7/8 to 10 without decrypting.  I haven't looked into the actual script much, so it may be very specific to Windows 7/8/ upgrades, but might be worth a shot.

• 5.  RE: Encryption Desktop 10.3.2 MP10 with Windows 10 1511 update

Posted Nov 30, 2015 10:53 AM

I'm having the same issue - trying to go from Windows 7 to 10.  My Symantec Encryption Desktop is version 10.3.0.  I get as far in the install as choosing a language to use, and then get sent to the 'Troubleshoot' or 'Turn off computer' screen, and the install fails.  Tried 3 times with the same result, so hoping there's a better answer than unencrypting and starting all over.

The error message I get is -

C1900101-20017

Windows update encountered and unknown error.

Pretty generic, I know.

• 6.  RE: Encryption Desktop 10.3.2 MP10 with Windows 10 1511 update

Posted Dec 01, 2015 01:14 PM

Unfortunately, after struggling for almost 2 weeks with trying various solutions to this scenario I came across some articles on symantec.com that suggest that Windows 10 support was only added from SEE v12.1.6 MP1.

Immediately I started the process of decrypting my main HDD overnight.

Then uninstalled SEE from the computer completely.

Reran the Windows 10 upgrade and it installed without any issues.

There doesn't seem to be any workaround to the laborious process of decryption, but if you run it overnight hopefully you can find some rest while it's doing it's job :) And overall it will be faster than trying to find a workaround, which in my case was almost 2 weeks (before I even realized SEE 11 or prior versions do not support Windows 10).

Hope that helps a bit.

• 7.  RE: Encryption Desktop 10.3.2 MP10 with Windows 10 1511 update

Posted Jan 05, 2016 11:39 AM

Hi all,

I had the same problem, but then I read the answer of Mike Ankeny of the Windows upgrade script. I tried that and it worked!

I do not know for sure what I am allowed to say on this forum, so I will give a brief explanation of my steps (an extended version can be given). First, I downloaded the upgrade to USB with the Windows Media Tool and copied the files from the USB to a new folder on my C:\ drive. Unfortunately, the Windows upgrade script from Symantec requires a .wim file, while the 1511 upgrade I downloaded uses a .esd file. So, I found a tool which converts it to a .wim file, which is called ESD Decrypter and can be found online. I ran the Windows upgrade script to modify the .wim file and then I used the Command Prompt to convert back to a .esd file: 

Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:c:\temp\install.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:c:\temp\install.esd /Compress:recovery /CheckIntegrity

Further, I followed the manual from the Windows upgrade script, except for the \ResizeRecoveryPartition command after setup.exe. The Windows upgrade started and after a couple of reboots the upgrade was completed. I hope this also works for you.

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO119349.html