Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Endpoint 12.1 configuration

Posted May 15, 2012 10:43 PM

I install Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1. Then create a client package and install it in the same Windows 2008 SP2 server.

My inital tasks:

1. Only parent server ( = Endpoint Manager) can go out Internet to get the new virus definition and then distribute to the clients. All clients only get the virus definition from parent server.

2. I want to set different time for Administrator Scheduled Scan in each client based on their busy hour.

For Task 1, I can unclick the box of "Use a LiveUpdate server" and only use "Use the default management server" in order to accomplish my task 1. However, I cannot find where I can set the LiveUpdate schedule for Endpoint Manager. It seems to set any rule/setting only in Policies. How can I set the schedule for LiveUpdate of Endpoint Manager?

For Task 2, if several clients are under a Group, these clients are controlled with that Group Policies. The "Administrator Defined Scan" in Virus and Spyware Protection Setting are applied to all its clients. However, I need to set different time for this virus scanning in each client based on their busy hour. As I can figure out, only create several group with different "Virus and Spyware Protection Setting" for my Task 2. I don't think that this is good solution / pratical implementation. Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 2.  RE: Endpoint 12.1 configuration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 15, 2012 11:34 PM

For Task 1, I can unclick the box of "Use a LiveUpdate server" and only use "Use the default management server" in order to accomplish my task 1. However, I cannot find where I can set the LiveUpdate schedule for Endpoint Manager. It seems to set any rule/setting only in Policies. How can I set the schedule for LiveUpdate of Endpoint Manager?

you need to edit/create a LU policy and apply the settings "Use default management server" to the group where the client belongs. Once clients takes the policy it will be updating only from SEPM.

For Task 2, if several clients are under a Group, these clients are controlled with that Group Policies. The "Administrator Defined Scan" in Virus and Spyware Protection Setting are applied to all its clients. However, I need to set different time for this virus scanning in each client based on their busy hour. As I can figure out, only create several group with different "Virus and Spyware Protection Setting" for my Task 2. I don't think that this is good solution / pratical implementation. Any suggestion?

well the policies are applied to group , if you have different settings to the clients present in same group, only solution is to have different group or create a customized scan on client individiaully so that the scan is triggered at the time you have set.

• 3.  RE: Endpoint 12.1 configuration

Posted May 16, 2012 04:38 AM

Thanks for Pete's help.

For Task 1, how can I set the schedule for LiveUpdate of Endpoint Manager?

For Task 2, in version 10.x, it can set individual Admin Scan in each client from console. However, in 12.1, it cannot do the same action. You can logon the client computer/server and create a new scan in SEP client. There is not a enhanced method at all. Or 12.1 has other way to do it?

• 4.  RE: Endpoint 12.1 configuration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 16, 2012 05:50 AM

Hi Dickson,

For Task 1, how can I set the schedule for LiveUpdate of Endpoint Manager?

-->  Check following article

Configuring the LiveUpdate download schedule for Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55104

For Task 2, in version 10.x, it can set individual Admin Scan in each client from console. However, in 12.1, it cannot do the same action. You can logon the client computer/server and create a new scan in SEP client. There is not a enhanced method at all. Or 12.1 has other way to do

--> SEP 12.1 has not other way to do it.

• 5.  RE: Endpoint 12.1 configuration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 16, 2012 06:08 AM

Hi Dickson,

Today I have created an idea for same.

Check this & promote as well.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/set-individual-admin-scan-each-client

• 6.  RE: Endpoint 12.1 configuration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 16, 2012 06:33 AM

Thumbs up to above thread!

there is no way to have scan individual machine other than custom scan on client end.Or you can select the clients from console and issue scan command .