Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Endpoint 12.1.2 and VShield Plug in

Posted Dec 11, 2012 04:51 PM

I'm a little confused around the new VShield integration that was anounced last week.

Do i have to have virtual Security Appliance installed to configure VShield plug in?

Can i use VShield Plug in without virtual security appliance?

Thanks,

J

• 2.  RE: Endpoint 12.1.2 and VShield Plug in

Posted Dec 11, 2012 05:46 PM
      |   view attached

Have a look at the admin guide which should answer your questions. Starts on Ch.29 pg. 667

• 3.  RE: Endpoint 12.1.2 and VShield Plug in

Posted Dec 12, 2012 12:38 AM

Virtual clients in a VMware vShield infrastructure can use a vShield-enabled Shared Insight Cache to reduce scan loads. A vShield-enabled Shared Insight Cache runs in a Symantec Endpoint Protection Security Virtual Appliance. Windows-based Guest Virtual Machines (GVMs) use VMware vShield Endpoint to access the Shared Insight Cache.

• 4.  RE: Endpoint 12.1.2 and VShield Plug in

Posted Dec 12, 2012 12:49 AM

• 5.  RE: Endpoint 12.1.2 and VShield Plug in

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 12, 2012 05:58 AM

Hello,

Check this Article:

Does Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 support VMWare vShield?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175568

Hope that helps!!

• 6.  RE: Endpoint 12.1.2 and VShield Plug in

Posted Jan 11, 2013 04:24 PM

This document is from 2011 which is completely outdated at this point.  How can a symantec employee reference this when there have been numerous announcements from symantec directly that they now suppory vshield integration?

This is exactly why there is so much confusion surrounding symantec endpoint and vmware vshield.

• 7.  RE: Endpoint 12.1.2 and VShield Plug in

Posted Jan 11, 2013 05:49 PM

Are you talking about this announcement? I don't see any reference to a plug-in, just integration. If there's another announcement that talks about a plug-in, please post a link with specific details.

If that is the announcement you meant, as Brian81 mentioned above, the Installation and Administration Guide's Chapter 29 is loaded with information, such as (from p 669): 

A vShield-enabled Shared Insight Cache runs in a Symantec Endpoint Protection Security Virtual Appliance. You must install the appliance so that Windows-based Guest Virtual Machines (GVMs) can use VMware vShield Endpoint to access the Shared Insight Cache.

That seems to indicate to me that a Security Virtual Appliance is indeed required. Did this (from Chapter 29) not answer your question? If it did answer your question, you should mark his post as the solution.

sandra