Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Endpoint Protection 12.0 and context menu

Posted Sep 02, 2010 10:03 PM
    I bought specifically Symantec Endpoint Protection SB 12.0 as it supports WS2008 R2.
    I was running WS2003 which had the symantec corp AV protection software but that is now discontinued and replaced with the product mentioned above.

What happened to the right click > scan file context menu?
    Does this mean that the AV does not actually run? That it does not protect the system against threats either? So there is no way to scan a file for infection before I open the file that could be harmful?

AV Corp was so much better as that gave me more trust.

any ideas? (yes, running 64 bit OS - WS2008 R2 is only x64)

• 2.  RE: Endpoint Protection 12.0 and context menu
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 02, 2010 10:38 PM

This is by design.Right-click AntiVirus/AntiSpyware (AV/AS) scanning is disabled on 64-bit platforms.

The Kb below is for SEP 11.0 but it holds true even for SEP 12.0

See the following KB article for more details:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007022310384648
    Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 compatibility with 64-bit platform

Specifically the section:
    Q: Are there any limitations on the AntiVirus and AntiSpyware on 64-bit platforms?
    A: These components will work as expected with the exception of right-clicking on an item and choosing "Scan for Viruses...".
    Right-click AntiVirus/AntiSpyware (AV/AS) scanning is disabled on 64-bit platforms.

Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) clients on 64-bit Operating System (OS) does not have the "Scan for Virus..." option in context menu
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2010040114172948

• 3.  RE: Endpoint Protection 12.0 and context menu

Posted Sep 03, 2010 12:26 AM

Since SAV is a native 32 bit application; i think it would take somemore time to get all these functions work
    this was already posted in the ideas section; not sure when it will be enabled on 64 bit OS