Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  EndPoint Protection 12.1 64 bit MSI

Posted Aug 25, 2011 09:41 AM

I was wondering if anyone else is running into problems with server connections when using the 64 bit MSI for SEP 12.1 clients?

I built a 32 bit and 64 bit MSI package at the same time (tried it 2 times now).  I am using AD GP to deploy the clients and my 32 bit clients connect to the management server just fine.  However, my 64 bit clients come up as unmanaged.  I have to go into each one and import the sylink.xml from the install point for the 64 bit client.  After that it works fine, but why is the install ignoring the file in the first place?  This seems to happen on fresh installs and upgrades.  Any thoughts?

• 2.  RE: EndPoint Protection 12.1 64 bit MSI

Posted Aug 25, 2011 09:58 AM

while exporting the package, u might have selected unmanged export

you can open the folder u have exported and check the sylink.xml

does that have any info about your server IP and port its using, if yes then its managed sylink if not unmanged sylink

When installing SEP clients using GPO the clients get all features installed instead of only the features set in the installation package

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH105237

• 3.  RE: EndPoint Protection 12.1 64 bit MSI

Posted Aug 25, 2011 10:05 AM

The Sylink.xml file has all the information.  As I said, I imported the file from the install generated to the client to initalize the connection.

• 4.  RE: EndPoint Protection 12.1 64 bit MSI

Posted Aug 25, 2011 10:13 AM

after the installation is complete, whats the sylink file it has, unmanaged will have a 4 liner or lesser code than managed one, on ugrade and new ones 

• 5.  RE: EndPoint Protection 12.1 64 bit MSI

Posted Aug 25, 2011 11:24 AM

More Information...  I have found that if I run the setup.exe from the generated 64 bit package it installs correctly.  This appears to be a bug in the MSI.  The msi seems to completely ignore the sylink.xml file.  It is really odd because the 32 bit msi works fine.  I would think it is a corruption except that I generated the package 2 times with the same result.

Client Sylink.xml (redacted)

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' ?>
    <ServerSettings DomainId="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"><CommConf><AgentCommunicationSetting AlwaysConnect="0" CommunicationMode="PUSH" DisableDownloadProfile="0" Kcs="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" PullHeartbeatSeconds="300" UploadCmdStateHeartbeatSeconds="300" UploadLearnedApp="0" UploadLogHeartbeatSeconds="300" UploadOpStateHeartbeatSeconds="300"/><LogSetting SendingLogAllowed="1" MaxLogRecords="100" UploadSystemLog="1" UploadTrafficLog="1" UploadRawLog="1" UploadSecurityLog="1" UploadProcessLog="1"></LogSetting><RegisterClient/></CommConf></ServerSettings>

Package Sylink.xml (redacted)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <ServerSettings DomainId="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX">
      <CommConf>
        <AgentCommunicationSetting AlwaysConnect="1" CommunicationMode="PUSH" DisableDownloadProfile="0" Kcs="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" PullHeartbeatSeconds="300" PushHeartbeatSeconds="300" UploadCmdStateHeartbeatSeconds="300" UploadLearnedApp="0" UploadLogHeartbeatSeconds="300" UploadOpStateHeartbeatSeconds="300"/>
        <LogSetting MaxLogRecords="100" SendingLogAllowed="1" UploadProcessLog="1" UploadRawLog="1" UploadSecurityLog="1" UploadSystemLog="1" UploadTrafficLog="1"/>
        <RegisterClient PreferredGroup="My Company\XXXXXX" PreferredMode="1"/>
        <ServerList FreezeSmsList="0" Name="Default Management Server List for HCHB">
          <ServerPriorityBlock Name="List0">
            <Server Address="XX.X.XX.XX" HttpPort="8014" VerifySignatures="1"/>
            <Server Address="XXXXXX" HttpPort="8014" VerifySignatures="1"/>
            <Server Address="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" HttpPort="8014" VerifySignatures="1"/>
          </ServerPriorityBlock>
        </ServerList>
        <ServerCertList>
          <Certificate Name="XXXXXX">XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX&#xd;
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX&#xd;
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/&#xd;
    /XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX&#xd;
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX+Q=</Certificate>
        </ServerCertList>
      </CommConf>
    </ServerSettings>

• 6.  RE: EndPoint Protection 12.1 64 bit MSI

Posted Aug 25, 2011 11:35 AM

Right, but even then where its taking the other sylink from,did u check this?

When installing SEP clients using GPO the clients get all features installed instead of only the features set in the installation package

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH105237

• 7.  RE: EndPoint Protection 12.1 64 bit MSI

Posted Aug 25, 2011 03:11 PM

just a suggestion (I have no idea if it will work) but have you tried deleting the sylink.xml file located here:

<PackageLocation>\<GroupName>\Symantec Endpoint Protection version 12.1.671.4971\CommonAppData\Symc\Name\Version\Data\Config

then trying the install again?

• 8.  RE: EndPoint Protection 12.1 64 bit MSI

Posted Nov 15, 2011 12:16 PM

Hi,

When you deploy the client package, you have to be sure that you are deployin the right package(32 or 64 bit).

You can find both the packages in install packages option.

Good Luck!!!