Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Endpoint Protection 12.1 not installing on Mac OS X 10.6

Posted Oct 26, 2012 05:37 PM

When I run the installer, I get:

Symantec Endpoint Protection can't be installed on this computer.

An error occurred while running the InstallationCheck tool for "Symantec Endpoint Protection". Try running the tool again.

And that's it.  So... what do I do?

It's a MacBook with 10.6.8 and I just installed the latest Java update (Update 11, 1.6.0_37)

• 2.  RE: Endpoint Protection 12.1 not installing on Mac OS X 10.6

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Oct 27, 2012 01:31 PM

Hello,

Check this Thread with similar Issue - 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/os-x-package-install-failure-some-systems

Hope that helps!!

• 3.  RE: Endpoint Protection 12.1 not installing on Mac OS X 10.6

Posted Oct 27, 2012 01:37 PM

pls upload sep-inst log .

• 4.  RE: Endpoint Protection 12.1 not installing on Mac OS X 10.6

Posted Oct 29, 2012 09:20 AM

Did you check for the error on the installation log or the event log?

Also chek this article which may help,

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH134203

• 5.  RE: Endpoint Protection 12.1 not installing on Mac OS X 10.6

Posted Oct 29, 2012 10:24 AM

Where did the install package come from? Was it exported from a SEPM? If so, what is the exact version of SEPM?

Try going to your FileConnect site and downloading the stand-alone SEP for Mac installer; either the 12.1 RU1 or 12.1.1 MP1 are exactly the same 12.1.1000 version.

Also be sure to only unzip the package after copying to the Mac; do not unzip the package on a PC.

MJD

• 6.  RE: Endpoint Protection 12.1 not installing on Mac OS X 10.6

Posted Oct 29, 2012 11:28 AM

install.log says:

Could not run InstallationCheck in the Symantec Endpoint Protection package. launch path not accessible

This package is the same package I've used on a few other Macs, provided by the people who manage SEP for our organization.  The only difference I'm aware of is, the others I've installed on were fresh installs of 10.7 updated to 10.7.5, and this MacBook is an existing 10.6.8 OS.

I saw the reference to "The Unarchiver", but aren't sure how to find out if this mac has it.  I didn't see it in Applications, but don't know enough about Macs to query a package manager or whatnot to find out.

• 7.  RE: Endpoint Protection 12.1 not installing on Mac OS X 10.6

Posted Oct 30, 2012 12:02 PM

See the following:

SEP for Macintosh installation error: "Symantec Endpoint Protection cannot be installed on this computer"
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH123690

Basically this echoes what Michael said above: it's usually because the permissions are incorrect, because the .zip file was not unzipped using the built-in Archive Utility on the Mac (in other words, do NOT use The Unarchiver). If you right-click on the .zip file, Open With > Archive Utillity should be the default. If it is not, then choose it from the list.

sandra

• 8.  RE: Endpoint Protection 12.1 not installing on Mac OS X 10.6

Posted Oct 30, 2012 12:38 PM

I think the issue may have been that I had unzipped the .zip file on a 10.7.5 Lion system, and for whatever reason 10.6.8 Snow Leopard didn't like it.

I would hope Symantec could come up with a package that's a little less delicate.  That's pretty nuts.

• 9.  RE: Endpoint Protection 12.1 not installing on Mac OS X 10.6

Posted Oct 30, 2012 01:14 PM

I'm not sure why the difference between 10.6.8 and 10.7. It's possible that the Archive Utility in Lion handles the unzipping/permissions a little differently, and they're different than what the installer expects when running on 10.6.8.

sandra