Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Endpoint Protection 12.1 windows animation slowly after install

Posted Jul 03, 2012 10:23 PM

I just installed my first Version 12.1 unmanaged Symantec Endpoint Protection 64-bit on a Windows 7 64-bit system.  After installing - all dialog boxes/windows opening, closing, minimizing or maximizing - animate VERY slowly, as if the system is moving in slow motion.

This is a test box.  The software is my NFR version - I'm loading it on internal systems before I begin selling licenses of 12.1 to clients.The Windows system has the latest Windows Updates/SP1.  Version installed is:  12.1.1101.401 (Release), RU1 MP1.   

I have tried disabling Symantec Endpoint Protection - it makes no difference.   If I uninstall the problem goes away.  If I reinstall it comes back. I have tried this on a Dell Win7 box and on a Lenovo box.  Same behavior.  I have not changed any Win 7 Aero settings or any Performance Options/Visual Effects settings in Windows 7. Mainly as I don't feel I should have to change default Windows behavior to get Symantec software to function and not disrupt the end-user experience.   The machine functions normally otherwise.

Does anyone have any thoughts what is wrong? 

• 2.  RE: Endpoint Protection 12.1 windows animation slowly after install

Posted Jul 03, 2012 10:25 PM

I should add that I have only installed the "Virus and Spyware Protection" and "Proactive Threat Protection" modules.

• 3.  RE: Endpoint Protection 12.1 windows animation slowly after install

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jul 04, 2012 12:30 PM

Hello,

How much RAM does the machine carry?

Which process in the machine is using the highest RAM / CPU?

• 4.  RE: Endpoint Protection 12.1 windows animation slowly after install
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 06, 2012 02:09 PM

The Dell has 8GB of memory.  The Lenovo has 12GB of memory.  They both have generation 3 - i7 processors.    Outlook was using the highest RAM / CPU process.

However, I have resolved the problem.    I was playing with settings and testing.   I found that if I went to the Virus and Spyware Protection Settings, to Download Insight and from there went to Intranet Settings and unchecked the box the problem was resolved.  I tested this repeatedly on both systems and can confirm that resolved my issue.