Video Screencast Help

Endpoint Protection Manager doesn't show real number of installed clients

Created: 26 Nov 2012 | 11 comments

Hi,

Got an issue with counting the Endpoint Protection installed clients across my Ative Directory domain.

I am counting clients using Console - Clients - View Clients tree and when expanding an Organization Unit where my laptops are, I can see some of them, but not all. It did not help Refresh or Sync now or change default view to another.

I have also used find unamaged computers, and searched the subnetwork where were several PCs with standalone installation - this discovered some of the computers but the process of searching has not ended till the end of the day (several hours looking int the network scope 128.1.0.0/255.255.255.0)

I have tested one laptop which was not listed but I was sure it had the Endpoint Protection installed. The computer was all the time connected to my network (but different subnet). When come to the PC and use Update Policy option on the client software, the computer  showed on the list in the management console.

 

I would like to be sure how many computers are protected and how many are not but maybe I do not know how to use the tools which I have.

I would apreciate any support in this case.

Comments 11 CommentsJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

What version of SEP/M are you running?

What happens when you click on "Search clients" in SEPM and type in the hostname or IP address? Does anything come up?

Ensure that the client has the green dot on the SEP icon in the task tray, this ensures it is communicating with the SEPM.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

mi_zi's picture

V. 11.0.5002.333

Yes, when entering IP of the computer it comes but there is no green dot on them.

 

BR

Mike

.Brian's picture

Is there a green dot on the client? If not, that means it can't talk to the SEPM.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

mi_zi's picture

Nope.

So it means it cannot talk. But when I run Update Policy on the clinet the green dot comes out.

Does it need to be pushed manually?

BR

Mike

.Brian's picture

if there is no green dot than it cannot talk to the SEPM...however if came on when you forced an update?

Try replacing the sylink file on the affected client. See this article for guidance on how to do:

https://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pa...

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

mi_zi's picture

Also noticed that when searching the client by computer name sometimes the console founds two computers. One is in [my_domain].com and one is in [my_internal_domain].

Both are without green dot.

When open proerties of the computer which is in the official domain [my_domain].com I can see all details about Syamntec client etc. But when opening properties of the other pc found in [local_domain] I can see almost nothing in the fields.

Any ideas?

BR

Mike

.Brian's picture

Do you have any firewalls in place which may be blocking the ports needed for SEP/M communication?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Rafeeq's picture

Multiple entries could be the result of your Active directory import.

do you see the same computer in user mode as well as in computer mode?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH131749

Ian_C.'s picture

@mi_zi Are you sure that you are displaying the relevant info in your client view?

Please mark the post that best solves your problem as the answer to this thread.
mi_zi's picture

Hi lan_C.

When I mark Account type: Only computers or only users in the Change Clients View window it shows exactly the same - two computer instances with the same computername.

So I turn on Account type to the Both computers and users

 

 

BR

Mike

Ian_C.'s picture

I was adressing the issue of you having to search for the clients, not that there are multiple clients defined.

Changing the Account Type view option doesn't help if you do not have user objects in your console.

Others have commented already about finding the duplicate computers & I'll leave you to explore those options.

Please mark the post that best solves your problem as the answer to this thread.