Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Endpoint Protection on SBS2003 server

Posted Oct 29, 2007 04:44 PM
    My server is running SBS 2003. I installed Endpoint Protection on the client computers connected to the LAN, and installed Endpoint Protection Manager on the server. Should I also install Endpoint Security client software on the SBS2003 server?

Message Edited by iamthe******itdept on 10-29-2007 01:44 PM

• 2.  RE: Endpoint Protection on SBS2003 server

Posted Oct 29, 2007 07:38 PM
    Hi IT Department

Yes, the Endpoint Protection Manager does not protect your server. In order to protect your server you have to install the client as well. Before you do this you might want to check out the the following thread to ensure that you don't run into problems https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=endpointcust&thread.id=886

Carsten

• 3.  RE: Endpoint Protection on SBS2003 server

Posted Oct 30, 2007 02:25 AM
    Carsten,

Thanks for your reply. Reading the thread you pointed me at will make me pause before continuing, but I'd like to try to figure out what to do when the problems in that thread have been resolved, and I can continue....

...I had tried to get the SEP client to install on the SBS2003 server. It wouldn't install, hence my first question, because I thought I might be trying to do something that I shouldn't.

The installation gets part way through, and then rolls back and aborts. There's no final error message or explanation given. I tried doing this install from the CD package I downloaded, from the 'find unmanaged computers' in SEPM, from the deployment wizard, and got the same result in all cases.

I previously had Client Security 3.1 installed, but installed it prior to starting to install SEP. Is it possible there's something left hanging around that is preventing the install of SEP on the SBS2003 machine? Or should I be looking for something else?

• 4.  RE: Endpoint Protection on SBS2003 server

Posted Oct 30, 2007 09:53 AM
    In the windows temp directory, there should be a file called SEP_INST.log.  This is created and written to by the client install.  Take a look in there and you should find some reason why the install is failing.

• 5.  RE: Endpoint Protection on SBS2003 server

Posted Oct 30, 2007 07:14 PM
    I installed the client on my SBS box without a problem.

I have since given up on the whole thing and went back to SAVCE for now until the bugs are worked out.