Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Endpoint Protection Update (11.0.3 - 11.0.5)

• 1.  Endpoint Protection Update (11.0.3 - 11.0.5)

Posted Apr 27, 2010 09:26 AM
    Hello Guys i am new in this Forum!

First of all Hello to all!

I hope someone can give me a good advice for the following scene:

We have an environmelt with several EP Clients and one Management Server! Now i have to Plan to Update the Management server in order to get the Setup Package run under Windows 7 because i now have the EPM in Version 11.0.3001.2224 installed and want to Upgrade to the 11.0.5 Version as provided in the Symantec File Connect Center.

Now my Question is the following:

If i plain Update my Management Server can the clients wit EP and Mail Security STILL CONNECT and Communicate with this Server or has there got to be any Updating to!

I ask because it´s an environment with Hundreds of clients!

I would appreciate it if someone could give me a few advices to make this go smooth!

I'm sorry for my Bad english :)

• 2.  RE: Endpoint Protection Update (11.0.3 - 11.0.5)

Posted Apr 27, 2010 09:40 AM

Ok i just was not sure with this "seamlessly" information in the Migration Dialogue because there was a "BIG" explanaition of how to Migrate Clients :)

So i saw that there is a RU6 (i have the Migration Info for RU5 in front of me )

Thanks for that first information!

so last question ... the clients get the new version automaticly over the Update Process? If not there is no problem in updating them later on!

Thanks!!

• 3.  RE: Endpoint Protection Update (11.0.3 - 11.0.5)

Posted Apr 27, 2010 09:45 AM
    No clients will not automatically get the client update when you upgrade the SEPM.

When you have upgraded the SEPM to 11.0.5 though, you can click on any client group, then click on the install packages tab for that group and add the RU5/RU6 package.  Then over a couple hours, all the clients in that group will try to update themselves with the new version.

Upgrading the Symantec Endpoint Protection clients
    The easiest way to migrate the Symantec Endpoint Protection clients is by using the auto-upgrade feature. All other client software deployment methods are supported, but the auto-upgrade approach is the best method. The client migration installation can take up to 30 minutes. Therefore, you should migrate when most users are not logged on to their computers.

Note: Test the migration approach before rolling out migration to a large number of computers. You can create a new group and place a small number of client computers in that group for testing purposes.

To migrate client software
      1. Log on to the newly migrated Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console if you are not logged on.
      2. Click Admin> Install Packages.
      3. Under "Tasks", click Upgrade Groups with Package.
      4. In the "Welcome to the Upgrade Groups Wizard" panel, click Next.
      5. In the "Select Client Install Package" panel, all existing client packages are listed in the drop-down menu. Select one of the following:
        Symantec Endpoint Protection <appropriate version>.
        Symantec Network Access Control <appropriate version>.
      1. Click Next.
      2. In the "Specify Groups" panel, check one or more groups that contains the client computers that you want to migrate, and then click Next.
      3. In the "Package Upgrade Settings" panel, check Download client from the management server.
      4. Click Upgrade Settings.
      5. In the "Add Client Install Package" dialog box, on the "General" tab, specify whether or not you want to keep existing client features or create new ones. Then configure a schedule for when to migrate the client computers. Under the "Notification" tab, can specify a message to display to users during the migration.
      6. Upgrade clients to Maintenance Release 1 by adding a new client install package to a group.
        Note: If the clients in the group run a previous version of Symantec Endpoint Protection turn off scheduling. Scheduling is on by default when a new client install package is schedules to be sent to a group. If scheduling is turned on, the upgrade fails. To turn off scheduling, go to the "Add Client Install Package" dialog box and uncheck Upgrade Schedule.

7. For details about settings on these tabs, click Help.
      8. Click OK.
      9. In the "Upgrade Groups Wizard" dialog box, click Next.
      10. In the "Upgrade Groups Wizard Complete" panel, click Finish.

• 4.  RE: Endpoint Protection Update (11.0.3 - 11.0.5)

Posted Apr 27, 2010 09:46 AM
    Clients running SEP 11.0.3 (MR3) can still communicate with your SEPM if you upgrade it to 11.0.5 (RU5).  That is not a problem at all.  It is always advisable to upgrade your clients too if you are able to, but if you cannot upgrade the clients yet, they will be able to managed fine in SEPM 11.0 RU5.

If you are upgrading to RU5 in your SEPM, why not upgrade to RU6 (11.0.6) so you have the latest?  Your MR3 clients can still be managed under SEPM 11 RU6.

Hope this helps.

P.S. You can also still push MR3 clients from the RU5/RU6 SEPM if you had to for any reason, although I would suggest pushing the latest package for any new installs you are doing.

Migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 RU5
    http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009090313483348

Migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 RU6
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2010041310404248?Open&seg=ent

• 5.  RE: Endpoint Protection Update (11.0.3 - 11.0.5)

Posted Apr 27, 2010 10:05 AM

Once the packet is assigned to Group ,

Go to Admin --> server-->Local site--->Download Liveupdate Content

Once the Update is Finished. Go to Cleints Tab , Rt Clickon the cleint group where the packge was assigned and Select Run Command on Group and Update Content

Within few mins the Client will upgrade to RU6

• 6.  RE: Endpoint Protection Update (11.0.3 - 11.0.5)

Posted Apr 27, 2010 10:18 AM

Ok so thats a lot of Information and i think i can plan to Migrate!

the thing is the Management server is a VM so i can easily copy it away and give it a try!

Thanks i'll reply<

• 7.  RE: Endpoint Protection Update (11.0.3 - 11.0.5)

Posted Apr 27, 2010 10:26 AM
    Sounds good, let us know if you have any more questions

• 8.  RE: Endpoint Protection Update (11.0.3 - 11.0.5)

Posted Apr 29, 2010 03:39 AM

So i see the RU6 will be available soon, i hope all the above will fit for this update too?!

• 9.  RE: Endpoint Protection Update (11.0.3 - 11.0.5)

Posted Apr 29, 2010 03:51 AM
    RU6 is already available and you can download it from https://fileconnect.symantec.com using your product sl. no. According to some forum posts with in two days you will get RU6a also.

• 10.  RE: Endpoint Protection Update (11.0.3 - 11.0.5)

Posted Apr 29, 2010 03:58 AM

I know, but i need the german version which will come out in a few weeks :)

• 11.  RE: Endpoint Protection Update (11.0.3 - 11.0.5)

Posted Apr 29, 2010 04:12 AM
    Ok.
    Good to know you are catching informations early :)

• 12.  RE: Endpoint Protection Update (11.0.3 - 11.0.5)

Posted Apr 29, 2010 04:26 AM
    makes no sense to update to RU5 if RU6 is coming out this weeks...

i gonna reply how it worked, if i have new questions i will post them :)

• 13.  RE: Endpoint Protection Update (11.0.3 - 11.0.5)

Posted Jun 26, 2010 06:36 PM
    So if i understand right, i can upgrade my 11.0.5 Manager to 11.0.6A, and it will normal manage all my old 11.0.5 clients without problems, as long as needed ? I'll eventually update my clients too, just not sure when, and i need to make sure everything will run normal updates, protecion etc.

Thanks in advance.

• 14.  RE: Endpoint Protection Update (11.0.3 - 11.0.5)

Posted Jul 09, 2010 03:14 PM
    Hi,

I have upgrade SEP 11.0.4  to 11.0.6a.Also i have scheduled autoupgrade task for clients.But i observed that the task is not upgrading the exsisting client.Let me know what are the credentails required for autoupgrade task to complete succesfully.Is admin$ & file sharing required enable for autoupgrade. 

• 15.  RE: Endpoint Protection Update (11.0.3 - 11.0.5)

Posted Jul 27, 2010 03:53 PM
    Upgrading the Symantec Endpoint Protection clients
    The easiest way to migrate the Symantec Endpoint Protection clients is by using the auto-upgrade feature. All other client software deployment methods are supported, but the auto-upgrade approach is the best method. The client migration installation can take up to 30 minutes. Therefore, you should migrate when most users are not logged on to their computers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would be very careful of this method if you have any type of WAN enviroment.  You are installing the clients from the Management Server.  If the clients are across a slower WAN link, you will swamp that link during the installs.