Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In "requires Outlook 2003 SP2 or later" though Outlook 2013 is installed

Created: 14 Feb 2013 • Updated: 14 Feb 2013 | 7 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have a computer with Windows 8 and Outlook 2013 (both 64-bit). Both is supported by Enterprise Vault 10.0.3.

Still, when I try to install the new Add-In, I get the error message "Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In 10.0.3.1090 requires Outlook 2003 SP2 or later". I verified that I don't have any old plugins installed and performed the cleaup steps in TECH53462, but still I can't install the new plugin.

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

Rob.Wilcox's picture

Was it an upgrade to Outlook?  Or a clean install?

There is an exact registry key that the Outlook Addin looks at to get the Outlook version ...  but I can't find it right now.

stephan.vanhelden@uponor.com's picture

Thanks, but didn't help. The key did not exist for me, I created it accordingly (HKCR\Outlook.Application\CurVer, Default value to REG_SZ "Outlook.Application.15"). I tested with ProcMon and found that the setup program doesn't even query this key (or any similar one). 

But, thanks to this, I solved it now. I saw that the setup program was querying HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\OUTLOOK.EXE, which did not exist. I saw that every other Office application had an entry there, but Outlook did not. So I created one similar to the others:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Outlook.exe]
@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\MICROS~1\\Office15\\OUTLOOK.EXE"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office15"
And then, installation started. I got another error message though ("Problem starting C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVClient\x64\VaultCacheIndexer.dll" - "A DLL initialization routine failed", own translation). But it seems to work now (at least I can open archived items).
SOLUTION
Alex Brown's picture

Stephan - I'm interested to know whether this particular issue is common on your desktop builds?

stephan.vanhelden@uponor.com's picture

It doesn't appear on the major part of our machines. There is a number of computers where installation failed (possibly due that reason) but it's only a small portion.

As for my machine (where I had this error), it has been upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 to Windows 8 and from Outlook 2007 to 2010 to 2013. So it's not quite a typical machine.

Still, checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Outlook.exe is a really uncommon way of checking if "Outlook 2003 SP2 or newer is installed" ...

Rob.Wilcox's picture

Many moons ago it was talked about doing 'deeper' checking for Outlook version number.  The problem is what would you do?  I mean you could check the version information for Outlook.exe, for example.  But where would you find it?  Especially in a case like yours where 'some' of the Outlook registry keys don't exist to tell people where the binaries are installed.

PeterX's picture

How do I fix this error?

I checked Stephan's registry hack - but I already have this key. I'm running 64-bit Outlook.

Update: I think that because I have the 32-bit Access Database Engine installed (to use the SharePoint Data View control), EV *thinks* that I have 32-bit Office and hence it can't find Outlook.