Enterprise Vaulting Email Data Restructure Question
Hi, I inherited support of our EV system a few years back, and have been maintaining it. We are currently at EV 2007 SP3. We do not have the Reporting component installed (yet).
When it was initially implemented, there was One policy only that was automatically enforced from the Mailbox down ... A Business Policy (for 11 years). We manually enable clients for Vaulting.
No deletions were EVER run on this system before I inherited (and I have not run any yet since I cannot get a record of what will be deleted incase a client calls after the first run).
This means, that EVERYTHING is vaulted (after 4 weeks) for 11 years (and a tremendous amount of disk is being consumed) and nothing has been deleted yet. A crude report I did get indicated 100,000 items had expired.
1. Is there a way to do a removal of the items that have expired, but not actually deleted them? I would want to do this for the first time only, since Nothing has ever been deleted just incase clients call and realize they needed something back. Is this possible?
2. Has anyone done a 'cleanup' or restructuring of the system such as adding in new policies, etc. What approach was taken?
- we would want to add new folders with specific policies applied to these folders (via EVPM scripting ... does anyone have any examples?)
- clients would then move their unvaulted email into these folders based on the retentions they wish to have
- in the end, the existing old data would eventually be removed via expiry deletions
- there may be No policy at the top of the Mail box, or, possibly a policy with a very short retention period (how would I remove the top one?)
I am just beginning on this project and would appreciate any feedback, advice, etc. that I could get as to approach, etc. I have not had any formal trying so all my knowledge is via subitting support cases or trial and error. Thanks!!