Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

EPM 11.0.1000.1375 -- Home, Monitors, Reports - Log On

Created: 01 Feb 2008 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 27 comments
Hi!
With remote access to EMPC Home, Monitors and Reports request Log On. Nothing helps to log in. Other tab's work OK.
EPMC is installed on Windows XP SP2 with IIS and EPMC installed with local admin rights.
Any ideas?
More thanks, Alar from Tartu Uni.

Comments 27 CommentsJump to latest comment

BBoy's picture

i have tried over and over to get these to open through a remote machine, but to no avail.
Even after threading here:

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?b...

for a while, I ended up reinstalling from scratch. This, however, did not help to show those three bits from another box.

Paul Murgatroyd's picture
I've been working on a similar issue this week for a customer.  None of the solutions in our KB for this issue would work (I assume you've tried them?)

What did work in the end was checking the permissions on the C:\WINDOWS\Temp folder

On the server having the problem, the Users group had special permissions, none of which allowed writing to the folder - its a long shot, but please just double check the Users group has MODIFY permissions to this folder

Paul Murgatroyd
Principal Product Manager, Symantec Endpoint Protection
Endpoint twitter feed: http://twitter.com/symc_endpoint

Alar's picture
Hi again and thanks!
Tried with this user groups rights -- I'd give even full access to Windows Temp dir, but ... same.
I noticed that there (in temp) appear some "sess_*" files which keep some info about my remote access.
I have similar problem with Live Update Admin 2.x installed on another machine -- remote access keep request login all the time. Strange, but ... truth.
More thanks, Alar.
Sandeep Cheema's picture
Okay, For anyone who see's this message or any other error message on the manager's first three tabs, Please follow this :

1)Download the authdiag(microsoft)

You would find the 32 bit version here

2)Once installed and open click on "User rights or privelges" on the right side pane

3)All the fields in red are the one that need to be fixed.

To do that follow this :

1)Open gpedit.msc
2)Go to computer configuration > windows setting > security setting > local settings > user rights assignment

Add the particular user, group or service to the service mentioned.

Restart the "IIS admin service" after the change.

Note : For a domain controller the same has to be edited from the active policy for "Domain Controllers" from  "Active directory users and computers." and the gpupdate /force

Message Edited by Sandeep_Cheema on 02-02-2008 03:09 PM

De facto when AV does something, it starts jumping up and down, waving its arms, and shouting...

"Hey!  I found a virus!  Look at me!  I'm soooo goooood!"

Alar's picture
Hi again and thanks!
I'd check that, but ... most in green, one in blue:
---------------
OK -- BUILTIN\Administrators
Found privileges: Allow log on locally; Access this computer from the network
OK -- BUILTIN\Users
Found privileges: Allow log on locally; Access this computer from the network
OK -- AK_25\IUSR_AK_25
Found privileges: Log on as a batch job; Allow log on locally; Access this computer from the network
OK -- AK_25\IWAM_AK_25
Found privileges: Log on as a batch job; Access this computer from the network
OK -- Everyone
Found privileges: Bypass traverse checking
BLUE (!) -- To check privileges of custom Anonymous user (if it configured) run 'Check Authentication' for appropriate Site
OK -- Diagnostics complete
---------------
Is that OK? In red nothing.
Btw. I installed EPM as Symantec Web Site
More thanks, Alar.
Alar's picture
Btw. Anything in these three tabs appear correctly when I do log in as local admin. So ... something with (no) rights probably interfere, but ... what?
Alar.

Alar's picture
Hi! And thanks.
So far I didn't find any problems regarding those articles. Well, some different approuches is as I am running SEPM on XP Pro SP2.
More thanks, Alar.

Alar's picture
Hi again!
Any further ideas/suggestions on this subject!? We need to have those three tabs also remotely, not just under local admin account! =)
More thanks, Alar.
Alar's picture
Btw. one interesting thing.
As I wrote earlier my machine connection to SEPM crashes on Java or whatever.
I tried connect to http://sepm_machine/reporting with IE7 and - as I also wrote before - login screen appear and when I entered SEPM admin credentials nothing happen -- "Unable to login because there is no session.". As it was when I tried from SEPM main screen which one I can't connect right now as Java etc. crashes. Nothing new. But ... when I tried connect to same link I mentioned with Mozilla Firefox ... surprise-surprise ... I could log in (with SEPM admin credentials) and - even those screens appear little bit odd - I could see some reports. So, where lies the problem using IE and log on via SEPM main screen!?
Something like this is also with LU Admin 2.1 remote access - I couldn't log in with IE7 (constantly appear log in screen), but no problem with Mozilla Firefox (portable version I'm using).
Well?
More thanks, Alar.
SKlassen's picture
With IE7, on Vista, the SEPM Console must be set to Run as Administrator.  Right-click on the shortcut. Properties>Compatibility>Priviledge Level.  Put a check in the box for Run this program as an administrator.  If you don't do this on VIsta, it won't work correctly.  I remember coming across this tidbit in one of the manuals, I think the SEPM administrator one, but it could also have been the install manual.
Alar's picture
Hi! Thanks.
Yes, I'm running IE as admin.
As interesting is - see letter before - with Firefox I see those three tabs when I log in directly to /reporting. Well, odd views and no details is opening, but ... something I see. Via SEPM console - same logon happen, when I try to connect /reporting with IE (7) same logon.
Alar.

Alar's picture
Hi!
Probably is no cure for this issue, but is there a way to change left column appear order to be first three last tabs!
More thanks, Alar.
Alar's picture
Hi!
I'd install SEPM fully new on W2K3 server and same problem here -- three first tabs require some additional logon, nothing helps. When I'm using Firefox ... oddly, but windows appear.
So, probably bug in soft etc.
More thanks, Alar.
Alar's picture
Hi!
Any further ideas on this subject?
On SEPM machine those three tabs work ok. (Windows 2003.)
Alar.
just out of interest, please check your permissions on the Temp folder under C:\Windows - "Users" should have either MODIFY or special access that allows writing of files and folders - thats fixed up a few reporting issues for me.

Paul Murgatroyd

Alar's picture
Hi and thanks!
You pointed on this in reply before, but I'd check again on this new install also and seems to me all OK -- users have "Traverse Folder / Execute Files", "Create Files / Write Data" and "Create Folders / Append Data" rights. Default. In this temp folder appear many sess_* files (small in size).
More thanks, Alar.
Sharlton's picture
Hi,
Don't know if you've resolved that issue of "not being able to log on because there is no sesion" yet but I was havin the same problem. I eventually got it to log on straight through to the management console by adding the SEP servers IP address to the list of trusted sites under the securities tab in IE of the machine I'm working from.

btw u might want to uncheck the require server authentication (https) for this zone box since you don't use https to access the SEP server remotely in default settings.

hope this helps

sharlton
Alar's picture
Hi and thanks!
I think I have this set and result same, but ... anyway, soon I try MR2 and we'll see.
More thanks, Alar.
Alar's picture
Hi again on this subject!
MR2 - SEPM 11.0.2000.1567 and ... problem still there! First three tabs require logon - no session etc. error appear. As it was described before. Sorry. On manager machine ... just fine as it was also before.
Alar.
Alar's picture
Hi again and again!
Just for info -- MR2 MP1 and ... this problem still there!
Alar.
pbogu's picture

A long shot from me - are you using proxy? cuz those 3 tabs are IE embedded sessions

Alar's picture
Hi and thanks!
Could be. Yes, I'm using proxy, but there is exception for this machine. Also, last three tabs appear ok, just Home-Monitors-Reports. Well, may be is console forced to use proxy, I'm not sure. When I try wo proxy set in IE options - same.
Also, in SEP client (policies) I don't see option where is possible to set avoid using proxy for accessing by client SEPM even in IE conf is set so, I think this option should be.
Btw. time-time Java crashes on machine where I start SEPM monitor. On SEPM machine is everything ok.
More thanks, Alar.
buck614's picture

I have the same exact problem. I was able to determine that I can see the content of what would be on the tabs by going to "htt p://computername/reporting". This is in both Firefox and IE7.

I have an additional computer that I installed the Java based connection on and it works fine.

Just to be clear, it has always worked fine when opened from the machine where Endpoint is actually installed. Problem really only occurs when you try to install the java version on a remote computer.

I don't think it is anything communication wise on the domain because as I said I installed it on a different computer and it works great.

Very frustrating.

do you have the SEPM host in your trusted sites in IE?

Paul Murgatroyd

Alar's picture

Hi and thanks!

It wasn't, but I tried (and tried before) with that -- same. Last time I could log - if I recall correctly - starting with FireFox, but ... now same there. Note that this is only about three first tab's, no problem with connecting Policies, Clients and Admin tab's.

Alar.