Video Screencast Help

Error: 0xe0000393 (V-79-57344-915) Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup.

Created: 29 Dec 2010 | 53 comments

For the last few days I've been getting the following error message. I've tried restarting the server and manually backing up the Exchange database using the ntbackup utility which did complete successfully. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas/solutions?

V-79-57344-915 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-528 The current log file is missing. '

Final error: 0xe0000393 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information. Final error category: Resource Errors

Server Information: Windows 2003 SBS, Backup Exec 2010 R2

Comments 53 CommentsJump to latest comment

sazz.'s picture

Are you doing the GRT backup of exchange and does it go to any SAN / NAS device. If you are doing the GRT backups then it would check the logs on your exchange if they are in consitency state. Do you see any error message in the event veiwer on exchange about this error.

Davy Nixon's picture

Yes, we do have the GRT functionality enabled and we are backing up to a Dell PowerVault 124T.

I did notice a few of these messages appearing in the system log while the backup is running:

Event ID: 45
SYMANTEC TAMPER PROTECTION ALERT

Target:  F:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\SPSWrapper.exe
Event Info:  Terminate Process
Action Taken:  Logged
Actor Process:  F:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe (PID 8832)
Time:  Tuesday, December 28, 2010  7:00:33 PM

NeerThadarai's picture

Run LiveUpdate and make sure you have the latest hotfixes for BE 2010 R2 and the remote agent is also updated if the exchange server is different from the media server. I guess in your case the Media server and the exchange is same as you are using SBS.

You can check this http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61642 though it's for 12.5 and this issue is fixed in the current release of BE 2010 you are using.

Davy Nixon's picture

Yes, the remote agent is up to date and the exhange server is the same as the media server.

I ran live update yesterday and there were no updates available. However, I ran it again today and there was an update (Hotfix 145462) so I installed it.

Thanks for the information, but it appears that the workaround is no longer necessary as there was a hotfix released to correct the issue.

NeerThadarai's picture

It's a good practice to exclude beremote.exe from the tamper protection. Since the backup is going to Tape it would be a good idea to check if you receive the same error while doing the backups to disk. Since there is difference in how catalog is generated while doing backups to tape there might be a possibility that the issue occurs only while doing backups to tape.

Even if the backup to disk fails than we need to check any events from the exchange side for log file missing or something like that.

Davy Nixon's picture

Ok, I've added beremote.exe to our scanning exception list.

I backed up the exchange database yesterday to disk using ntbackup and it worked perfectly. I didn't see any errors in the log using that utility.

I've searched through the log more and found a couple issues during backup:

Event ID: 5008

The message tracking log file F:\LogFiles\NTSERVERO.log\20101219.log was deleted.

Event ID: 1000

#50070: Unable to connect to the database STS_NTSERVERO_1 on NTSERVERO\SharePoint.  Check the database connection information and make sure that the database server is running.

playpiano's picture

Same problem on windows server 2003 / exchange 2007.

It is start happening last few days after applying last 2010 R2 patches; yesterday i found two other patches but the problem is not resolved.

Some news?

GAG's picture

Hello,

I have same problem. My scenario:
- Backup Exec 2010 R2 on a Windows 2008 DC server.
- Exchange Server 2003 on a Windows 2003 server.

Everything working fine until a few days ago. No warnings, no errors events in my Exchange Server.
The backup completes on all of my 4 servers but when it verifies the backup, it shows the error.

Thanks.

Paul_L's picture

I have the same problem as you GAG and playpiano, since updating via LiveUpdate just a few days ago the error started, backup completes but verification fails.

I have just noticed event logs on the exchange server from Backup Exec CPS telling me that it failed to run due to pending restarts from an other application.

I discovered that the remote agent was the application in question, it needs to restart the server to complete an upgrade of the remote agent software, i've scheduled this for tonight so i'm hoping it resolves the issue.

Thought it may be worth checking for you too?

GAG's picture

Hi Paul_L,

Thanks for your feedback.
I had the same problem (and solution) than you a couple of weeks ago.
After updating bexec remote agents in my 4 servers from my Bexec server, the server which runs Exchange Server 2003 started to fail backups.

The solution was restarting that server because it had no completed the upgrade of the remote agent. After that, everything was working fine again, until this new problem arised.

UPDATED INFO AFTER SEVERAL CHANGES:

Exchange Server:
- Updated Bexec Remote Agent with the last hotfixes and restarted the server.
- Checked and defragmented Exchange Server stores with ESEUTIL. No problems at all.
- Make a backup with Microsoft Backup, also without problems.
- No warning events, no error events.

Backup Exec Server:
- Updated Bexec 2010 R2 with the last hotfixes and restarted the server.
- Try another backup ONLY from my Exchange Server: SAME ERROR, backup completes but verifies fails. If I try to restore something from this backup, I can't.

At this point I'm completely blocked. I have no more ideas.
I'm thinking on reinstalling Backup Exec 2010 R2 from the very beginning and see what happens because it looks like it's a problem with Backup Exec.

Any ideas would be very apreciated.

Paul_L's picture

GAG.. Have you re-run the Remote Agent installer to make sure there isn't a further update for the remote agents, i just ran it again and there was yet another update required.

As a test you could also try uninstalling the more recent hotfixes from your Media server?

Instructions on uninstalling hotfixes found here...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH58187

GAG's picture

Hope thit open case will give us a solution soon mklbolt.

I re-run the Remote Agent installer Paul_L, and all my 4 remote servers appears up to date.

It's holiday already in Madrid, so uninstalling hotfixes (it seems a great idea Paul_L) have to wait until Saturday (or even Sunday or Monday, I'm afraid, ;-)))

Happy new year for everybody. Try to be happy !!

djfiend's picture

Not sure if it was hotfix 143746 or 143981 but after removing these two patches I was able to successfully backup Exchange with the GRT method without any errors. The above problem did start for me after those two hotfixes were installed and the latest two did not help fix the issue. I had removed the latest hotfixes as well before unistalling the 143746 and 143981 as to not cause anymore problems.

GAG's picture

Just like djfiend said, was the patches.

I've uninstalled patches 146017, 145462, 143981 and 143746.
After that, tried again a backup and no problems at all.

Davy Nixon's picture

I decided to disable the GRT option and my backups have been fine so far. I haven't tried to uninstall the service packs.

Paul_L's picture

Glad to hear the uninstallation worked GAG and djfiend, think i'll try uninstalling the patches myself.

It's funny how an update to improve the GRT in Exchange actually breaks it :)

mklebolt's picture

I've uninstalled patches 146017, 145462, 143981 and 143746.

Now my jobs won't complete.  They say they are running for hours upon hours and wont fail. I'm going to try reinstalling 143981 because it looks like it may fix my issue.

B2D: A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent

RedDog123456's picture

Same issue. Upgraded to 2010 R2 and exchange 2003 GRT backups started to fail. Removal of patch 143746 seems to have cleared the issue.

GAG's picture

Since I've removed the last 4 patches my backups are running OK.

mklbolt, Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling again remote agent in your Exchange Server ?

I guess uninstalling patches in the Bexec Server doesn't remove them from the remote agents so reinstalling the agents could be necesary.

mklebolt's picture

I did not.  I have a call with Symantec later today.  Hopefully this will shed light on some of this.

Tonicart's picture

SBS 2008 Std. + Backup Exec 2010 R2 here.

Got the same error as the OP, can't backup individual mailboxes. Uninstalled 143746, will see if it helps tonight. I don't want to disable GRT, its a large reason of why I'm backing up the Exchange stores in the first place!

playpiano's picture

Windows Server 2003 Standard
Exchange Server 2003
Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2

1) Uninstalled 143746
2) Restart server

Exchange Backup OK

Symantec, please, correct the bug.

Paul_L's picture

I can confirm that uninstalling those 4 mentioned hotfixes also fixed my issue.

As a note for others i had to uninstall and reinstall the remote agents after uninstalling the hotfixes as my backups were hanging on snapshot processing due to the mismatch in remote agent version and media server version.

Inti's picture

Hi,

thanks for the Solution (uninstall Hotfix 143746). It seems this worked for me, too.

I also did push out the remote agents again after uninstalling, however I did not restart any Machines. Test Backup of Exchange 2003 with GRT now works again and I get the selection of single Objects again (did not work before).

I only had the Issue on Full/Copy Jobs with GRT Enabled on the Exchance DB. Standard Full Backups with Logs did work.

Version is Backup Exec 2010 R2 on 2003 R2 Standard and Exchange 2003 on separate Server (2003 R2).

Regards,

Inti

Inti's picture

Hm, seems I was a bit too euphoric. Same Error persists. Only difference now is, that a separate Complete/Copy Job on Exchange suceeds (and I can select and restore single objects, which didn't owrk yesterday with the Hotfix installed).

I renember, that I also saw the Problem before the hotfix, however it was only happening randomly on daily Backup (Backups File Selection differential and Full/Copy on Databases and Exchanges). So there might be two independent, different Problems.

Is there a way to attach a single Exchange Backup to another Job like the Duplicate-Jobs ?

SProdanovski's picture

I am also just getting this error after the December patches with Server 2003/Exch 2003. I do not want to uninstall patches then have to re-install a bunch of agents.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH147536&key=15047&actp=LIST

I believe they are aware of this... it's just a matter of when they will release the fix =\ 

Inti's picture

I also had no real luck yet. I think the Trick is to switch off AOFO for the Exchange Backup and to put that to a Backup Time, where no other AOFO-Backup runs (or using the Options described in the Article, which are not a real option for many customers).

I really wonder, why this never happened in 11d or 12.5 (I have no 12.0 Installations) but is so troublesome with 2010 / 2010 R2.

I got the Hint from this Thread: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/exc... , however I is a slight bit different (dll-Errors, only when B2T).

jay_rams's picture

Problem

When performing a backup operation of an Exchange 2003 Information Store database using the 2010 R2 version of Backup Exec with hotfix 143746 installed; having both the Granular Restore Technology (GRT) & Advance Open File Option enabled, the job will fail with: V-79-57344-915 '-528 The current log file is missing.'

Error

V-79-57344-915 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-528 The current log file is missing. '

Environment

Backup Exec version 2010 R2 with hotfix 143746: GRT backup of Exchange 2003 Information Store with Advanced Open File Option enabled

Cause

Symantec Corporation has acknowledged that the above-mentioned issue is present in the current version(s) of the product(s) mentioned at the end of this article. Symantec Corporation is committed to product quality and satisfied customers.

This issue is currently under investigation by Symantec Corporation. Pending the outcome of the investigation, this issue may be resolved by way of a patch or hotfix in current or future revisions of the software. However, this particular issue is not currently scheduled for any release.  If you feel this issue has a direct business impact for you and your continued use of the product, please contact your Symantec Sales representative or the Symantec Sales group to discuss these concerns.

Solution

Workaround:

1. Disable the setting "Use Advanced Open File Option" in the Properties of the backup job

OR

2. Disable the GRT option for the effected backup job

CraigV's picture

...that looks like a direct copy/paste from a Symantec tech note...why did you not either put the link in, or mention that yuo were plagiarising the information...?

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

RRE's picture

Hello Davy,

You can refer the following document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH147536

A hotfix is available to resolve the issue .

As you have opened a support case with symantec to resolve the issue, they will provide this HF to resolve the ongoing issue. This HF is not yet made public so it can be only provided by the support personnel

Thanks

RRE

If this answers your question, Please mark it as solution

SProdanovski's picture

RRE - I do not see a Hotfix with that number anywhere on the site. I have used searches as well as manually looked through the most recent downloads and it is not there.

I have also used Liveupdate on the server itself and am fully up to date - with the same issues still present.

Where can I find this hotfix? And if it is not yet released, what is the ETA? The KB article you linked does not provide an ETA for the fix - only workarounds.

RRE's picture

Hello ,

The KB article will provide only the workaround & not the HF because it is not yet made public. As of now the HF is only provided by support personnel.

Regards

RRE

itsmeaffinity's picture

Hi

To call support you can use 18006344747 number or you can open a web case to avoid hold issue over the phone using

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

Thank You

If this information helps you, please mark it as solution.

Thank You.

SProdanovski's picture

I am speaking to support staff right now and they can't seem to find this Hotfix. I have opened a case already via that link and as a result support have called me.

When is it being made public? This is a headache.

RRE's picture

Hello ,

Did you provided this technote to them

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH147536

Regards

RRE

RRE's picture

Hi ,

I went through the document & would like to highlight some imp points

Symantec Corporation has acknowledged that the above-mentioned issue is present in the current version(s) of the product(s) mentioned at the end of this article. Symantec Corporation is committed to product quality and satisfied customers

This issue is currently under investigation by Symantec Corporation. Pending the outcome of the investigation, this issue may be resolved by way of a patch or hotfix in current or future revisions of the software

- Seems that this issue is still under investigation

- IF you check the title of the Document , below that you will see an option "subscribe" , you can subscribe to this technote & you will be notified by email as soon as the issue is fixed

Workaround:

1. Disable the setting "Use Advanced Open File Option" in the Properties of the backup job

OR

2. Disable the GRT option for the effected backup job

Regards

RRE

SProdanovski's picture

Yes, I provided the tech note to them, as well as the hotfix number. They told me that I will have to subscribe to it, as you've stated, and wait for the hotfix.

In the mean time, my Exchange server is not being properly backed up. That document also does not give any ETA and even states "this particular issue is not scheduled for any release". Suffice to say, I am not overly pleased with this support experience.

itsmeaffinity's picture

Hi

You can ask for the escalation to speak to senior level about this issue & they can help you with this

Thank You

If this information helps you, please mark it as solution.

Thank You.

RRE's picture

Hi there ,

Very soon , i'll give you an update on this issue.

SProdanovski's picture

The technician said he'd already escalated it to his superiors and had gotten that answer. Not too happy about it.

Yes, RRE, please update us soon. Thank you.

sub70's picture

The last posts indicate this is an ongoing issue.

I recently updated backup exec 2010 to R2 updated agents and rebooted servers.

My exchange server 2003 on server 2003 reports the error described.

Please update us with a fix for this known issue,

GAG's picture

Hi again,

After weeks working fine, I've installed SP1 and patches 150096 and 144101 and my backups just started to fail again with same error.

It's hard to believe for me that after weeks reporting this error, Symantec offers a Service Pack and two more patches without solving this issue.

Moreover, I can't uninstall these patches nor SP1 so I can't revert my situation just as I did the first time.

Hpe Symantec give us a solution soon.

Regards,

Bob Pankratz's picture

Yes this is rather sad. I worked with Tech Support at length and told them that hotfix 143746 was the cause of the problem. The assured me that 143746 would be unbundled from the SP1 and that uninstalling 143746 and then installing SP1 when it came out would effectively block 143746 from installing again...  Needless to say 143746 was bundled in SP1 and once you install SP1 you are SOL. 

So here are two workaround a lot of people don't know about for the time being; these are hacks and YMMV.

Option (1)

Step (a) Create a second backup job that runs first; have it do a backup of just Exchange and have it do it to a Diskbased backup folder. Have GRT turned on for that backup. Diskbased backups do not appear affected by this bug; at least as of SP1. The backup will dump a copy of the Exchange files to an IMAGE directory. Set those diskbased backup folders to be overwritten each time you do a backup; so you can reclaim the space each backup run.

Step (b) Then have a second pass backup job that backups up everything but exchange, and backups up the disk based backup folder created in step (a).

Now if you have to restore exchange you can restore the disk based folder; configure it as a device; and catalog it. Once cataloged you can do a brick level restore from it.

Option (2)

Continue as your are with the GRT on; and the failed messages. If you need to do a restore. Do a DUPLICATE backup set job and duplicate your tape based back to a DiskBased Media folder. During the duplicate process the priv and pub edb which were backedup by the snapshots will be GRT'd during the copy process and the resulting copy of your backup can then be used for the brick level restores.  We almost always do Exchange brick level restores this way because invariably the user doesn't tell you everything they need the first time and it much faster to do one duplicate job + a couple diskbased sub-restores; than it is to do multiple direct from tape restore. In fact backupexec is doing a transparent diskbased restores anytime you think you are doing a direct tape to exchange restore. So there is no loss in throughput to do it as a two step manual process.

What I still have to test is whether (a) if GRT is OFF, then will (b) the copy job from tape to disk-based folders have the GRT info in it. If that's the case I will turn GRT off so I can see REAL failures in the logs.

GAG's picture

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your info about possible workarounds.

From Monday to Thursday my backups are disk based and only on Fridays I do a tape backup.
These disk based backups were getting the mentioned error after my upgrade to SP1.

Yesterday, I disabled Avanced Open File and tried at night a new backup. This morning the backup was completed without errors but exceptions concerning several SQL databases (Yes, I'm not using SQL Agent)

RRE's picture

Hello 

As per my previous post 

The Temp solution is

1. Disable the setting "Use Advanced Open File Option" in the Properties of the backup job

Rodney Hills's picture

We are on Backexec 2010 R2 SP1 and expierencing the same problem with GRT backup/restores.

We've done the necessary setup on the Exchange server so that the Backup account has the required "roles".

A GRT backup to disk fails

A GRT backup to tape is ok

A GRT restore from tape fails with "missing log error"

A non-GRT backup to disk/tape is ok

A non-GRT restore from disk/tape is ok

A hotfix (#150096) became available when I did a check via liveupdate.

I installed the hotfix
Uninstalled Remote agent on Exchange 2010 SP1 on Server 2008 R2
Reinstalled Remote agent

When we get a chance to reboot the Exchange 2010 server I'll try another GRT backup/restore.

Rod H

Rodney Hills's picture

We applied the hotfix onto the Backup Exec server

We removed the remote agent from the Exchange 2010 server

We re-installed remoate agent

We rebooted Exchange server

We can not restore individual mailboxes ok

We even were able to redirect a mailbox to a new mailbox.

Thanks for the input

Rod H

Ken Putnam's picture

We can not restore individual mailboxes ok

Should that be 

"We can now restore individual mailboxes ok" ?

If so, please mark the response that helped you most as the solution and as many "thumbs up" as assisted

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

CraigV's picture

...that should not be a temp solution...AOFO shouldn't be used when backing up Exchange/SQL etc, as it causes issues during backups/restores.

If you logged a call with Symantec and they found that AOFO was being used, they'd suggest turning it off...

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

RRE's picture

The Much Awaited Hotfix is released

Backup Exec 2010 R2 Revision 4164 Hotfix 148347
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH148347

Please update the results after successful backup