Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Error 1053 The service did not respond to the start

Created: 18 Jul 2008 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi

We're still using 5.1, one of the servers (win2k3 sp1) stopped backing up and looked like it stopped comunicationg with the backup server. I restarted the netbackup client service which failed to start.

I have reinstalled the client (full de install and then reinstall) but the service still fails to start.

Error 1053 The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

I checked the path to the bpinetd.exe and it is correct, while the service is trying to start the bpinetd process appears but then dies once the error message appears. 

There are no logs created during the start of bpinetd.

Does anyone know how I can get some error messsges to give me a clue as to why its failing?

Maybe starting it in a command prompt somehow would be useful, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers 

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Rakesh Khandelwal's picture

Check this out -

http://support.veritas.com/docs/284078

GENERAL ERROR: When using Veritas NetBackup (tm) and starting the NetBackup services, a Windows Error 1053 "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" occurs.
Exact Error Message
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start

Details:
Overview
The following errors may appear when attempting to start the NetBackup services on a Windows system. For Windows NT systems a system error 1068 "The dependency service or group failed to start" can occur. For Windows 2000 systems a system error 1053 "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" can occur. There are several reasons these errors could occur. These could occur if other applications are preventing the services from starting, or if the services are not configured correctly, or if network problems are preventing the services from contacting other systems.

Troubleshooting
Verify the services are configured correctly and the login account for all NetBackup services is either the default Local System account or that the account is associated with an existing NT domain.

Log Files
The <install_dir>\NetBackup\logs\bpcd\<date>.LOG file may show the following errors when bpcd attempts to start.
<2> logconnections: getsockname(-1) failed: 10038
<16> bpcd setup_sockopts: setsockopt 1 failed: h_errno 10038

Resolution
If the NetBackup services are not configured to log on as the default Local System account then change them to use this setting.

1. Open the Services panel by going to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
2. Scroll down to the NetBackup daemons and select the service that will not start
3. Right click on the service and select Properties
4. Then select the Log On tab and select Log on as: to the Local System Account option

Then attempt to restart the NetBackup service. If this fails to resolve the issue, contact Symantec Enterprise Technical Services for additional assistance with this error code.

Gruesome's picture

Thanks for the reply Rakesh,

Its definately set to local system and there are no log files created, if I had a log file I might have something to go on.

Cheers

SOLUTION
Gruesome's picture

I organised a reboot of the server which has fixed the problem.