Data Loss Prevention

View Only
  • 1.  Error 1302: File Reader failed to start

Posted Jun 07, 2011 02:32 PM

I'm in the middle of upgrading a Windows/Linux mixed environment from 10.5  to 11.0 MP1 to 11.1 MP1.

After the initial upgrade to 11.0 MP1, 4/5 Windows detection servers are now stalled at "Error 1302: File Reader failed to start".  1 Windows Detection Server (Network Monitor) and 1 Linux Detection Server (Network Monitor) started with no issues.

I've tried restarting Monitor Controller, and restarting the other Detection servers.  

Additional Detail on the error:  "Error starting File Reader, java.lang.NullPointerException.  No incidents will be detected."

Has anyone seen this happen on Windows?  I've seen this happen without the "apr-util" package installed on Linux, but this is not my issue.

Thanks,
    Ryan

• 2.  RE: Error 1302: File Reader failed to start

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 08, 2011 08:44 AM

Can you attach the FileReader0.log for inverstigation? 

• 3.  RE: Error 1302: File Reader failed to start
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 09, 2011 10:49 AM

After the v10.5 install in 2010, the detection servers were hardened, and some permissions were changed for folders. 

When performing the v11 upgrade in June of 2011, the servers seemed to upgrade fine but then could not start File Reader.  

Logs indicated that folders could not be found:  pstdepositfolder and pstlocalcopy.  The installation / service start could not create these folders because of missing permissions.

The special permissions that were removed, that are critical for an upgrade/new install to complete are:

1:  [[machine_name]]\users;  + ALLOW:  Create Files / Write Data

2:  [[macine _name]]\users; + ALLOW:  Create Folders / Append Data

Once these permissions wer re-added, the installation completed and file reader was able to start normally.

I hope this helps anyone that may have issues in the future with missing permissions on detection servers.

• 4.  RE: Error 1302: File Reader failed to start

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 10, 2011 09:04 AM

So, what are the folders that the permission changed in this case?

• 5.  RE: Error 1302: File Reader failed to start

Posted Jun 10, 2011 11:09 AM

The Vontu Install directory:

C:\Vontu