Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Error 1327 Invalid Drive Revisited

Posted Apr 05, 2011 02:08 PM

"The client installion MSI gets stuck on an error if My Documents is mapped to a network drive.   I see from this forum that this problem has been know for 2 years.  It seems to me that this would not be difficult to fix.  I'm using the newest version of SEP 11 and XP clients.  Please let me know if this problem will be addressed."

This was posted previously and none of the responses addressed the specific problem or provided a workable solution.  Given just these two circumstances...

1) A Home directory is specified in Active Directory (which results in an automatic drive mapping) and

2) the clients are set to use that as their My Documents

All attempts at a mananged update of the SEP client will fail.  The administrator will have to go to every computer, modify the registry, push out the client, and then change the registry back again.  That is not acceptable. 

No other program has had this problem at our company so it would be nice to see an explaination of why SEP can't get past this.

And it would be nice to see a solution that allows clients to be remotely updated/installed.

Thanks for your support

• 2.  RE: Error 1327 Invalid Drive Revisited

Posted Apr 05, 2011 02:12 PM

See this solution-

Symantec Endpoint Protection Error: "1327 Invalid drive" during Client installation on a computer running Windows that has a mapped drive for the documents folder.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103750&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1302027100694

• 3.  RE: Error 1327 Invalid Drive Revisited

• 4.  RE: Error 1327 Invalid Drive Revisited
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 08, 2011 02:32 PM

I talked to symantec support and they said that all the HKCU and HKLM shell folder and user shell folder keys would have to be changed to local drive locations.  They also said that this was not a big enough problem for them to fix (hmf!)

However, I found a solution that allows me to have My documents mapped to a network drive AND install SEP clients.

After experimenting with this I have found that the HKCU shell folder and user shell folder keys are NOT causing this problem.  Either the Symantec documentation of this error is wrong or outdated.

Furthermore, HKU\S-1-5-18 shell folders and user shell folders keys ARE part of this problem.  I don't know why those keys were changed on our computers, but the good news is that HKLM and HKU keys can be changed remotely. 

Examples:  These command will reset a key back to its default

Reg add "\\computername\HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\shell folders" /v "Common Documents" /t reg_sz /d "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures" /f

Reg add "\\computername\HKU\S-1-5-18\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\user shell folders" /v Personal /t reg_expand_sz /d "%%USERPROFILE%%\My Documents" /f