Video Screencast Help

ERROR 156

Created: 20 Dec 2013 • Updated: 23 Dec 2013 | 10 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

NBU 7.5.0.6 (client and server)

Master/Media sever 2008 r2

Client 2008 r2

Gurus!!

I am at a loss and am very frustrated by the error 156 for VMs. It is a very general error. I would like to get a better understanding of this error so that i can trouble shoot in a systematic manner. One of my VMs failed in their Daily Differetial Backup. I cannot even restart them manually. Attached are the details log of the machine. I ran the maual differential twice one after the other. I have highlighted the entry that troubles me.. In both entries it is looking for a file and not finding it. Why is it looking for different files for each backup? I looked at the location on the master/media server (both are the same) and neither file is there. I very frequently get this error and it clears up after a couple of days. I have also tried to run a full backup in the hope that the file would be created but it still fails. What is the most common reason for this behaviour? 

Operating Systems:

Comments 10 CommentsJump to latest comment

Mark_Solutions's picture

From doc1 and doc2:

Unable to locate VM NDUAPP47.ndu.edu 

This means it cannot be found. Even though it is a VMware backup type the VMware backup host still tries to resolve the machine before it will try and back it up

The unable to open file is becuase it allocates a file name to the snapshot it is about to do but never does - its routine is then to delete it but it never existed - just a coding glitch in netbackup and nothing to worry about

The important thing is that the VMware backup host needs to be able to resolve the server it is going to back up.

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

Will Restore's picture

right, forget the cannot open file, the real trouble is

VMware_freeze: Unable to locate VM

see this old technote

VMWare Consolidated Backup Policy Validation fails with Status 156. (VMware_freeze: Unable to locate VM vmmachine1)

Article:TECH56729  |  Created: 2008-01-11  |  Updated: 2011-05-11  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56729

Will Restore -- where there is a Will there is a way

snawaz3's picture

the ifo in this tech56729 doc seems what is happening. i dont understand what it means by proxy server. should i add the ip and vm name to the host file on my master/media server?

Will Restore's picture

proxy server was the old term under VCB, nowadays with VADP we say 'backup host', typically the vCenter server

Will Restore -- where there is a Will there is a way

SymTerry's picture

and to further add, make sure you can browse to that VM in the client selection tab. Also do this backup work fine when you have the primary VM identifier as VM Dispaly name instead of VM hostname? 

snawaz3's picture

i can browse to the vms in the client selection tab. some machines I can backup if I change the vm identifier from vmhostname to vmdisplayname. Others by choosing vmdnsname. Some are still not backing up. So why do the different vms need different vm identifiers? Is it the way the vms are created in vcenter? 

Mark_Solutions's picture

It does help if everything is consistent in vCenter

As i said when a job is submitted the media server (VMware backup host) does need to resolve the client name initially - so a consistent and resolvable naming scenario works best

If you cannot get your VM admins to do this then you may have to select each server manually but then you loose the features of the VIP policy

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

snawaz3's picture

yep. the vm admins do not accept they are doing things in a haphazard way. the only work aroung i see is to created 3 separate policies one for each identifies and just keep moving the vms around. thanks

could you explain the file entry in a error 156. why is it looking for this file and where is it supposed to be. is this a file it creates when it does a differential backup and needs to append to it at the next sequential backup. does the file get created during the full backup and it refers this file during differential backup.?

Mark_Solutions's picture

You can ignore that error - the coding (at least as i see it) says do a snapshot then backup the system - if anything goes wrong delete the snapshot .... but your fails before it gets the snashot so when it comes to delete that snapshot it cannot find it because it never existed!

Hope that makes sense - i think it is just NetBackup running through its set routine and commenting that it cannot find the snapshot

Get the host name resolution right (as you say several policies would sort that out) and it should then be OK

SOLUTION