Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Migration User

Migration UserMar 23, 2009 11:52 AM

• 1.  Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Posted Mar 23, 2009 11:52 AM
    I am attempting to install Symantec Antivirus x64 on a users machine and am repeatedly getting this error. This is a common error that we get here, and we have yet to find a solution that is repeatable. Often times this occurs when the users try and remove symantec improperly. Things we have tried are manual removal via the instructions on the symantec website. This has proven to be costly time wise, and highly ineffective. I'm not sure what else can be done to correct this. Any help would be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Posted Mar 23, 2009 11:52 AM

• 3.  RE: Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Posted Mar 23, 2009 12:00 PM
    Why your users have rights to uninstall/remove symantec anyway?
    Try Tamper protection and password protection (however you can workaround password) to stop the users from doing that.
    What are other situation that you see this error?

• 4.  RE: Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Posted Mar 23, 2009 12:03 PM

We work for a University and Symantec Anti-Virus is required to access the Dorm Network through the Cisco Clean Access Agent. Symantec is installed on their personal machines. We can't prevent tampering. This error occurs during installations. Many times it could be due to having other Norton products that were installed previously and the users uninstalled the Norton products erroneously.

• 5.  RE: Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Posted Mar 23, 2009 12:17 PM
    So manual fixing is the only solution I see here.
    However you can use CleanWipe tool to remove any remnants of previous installations on the machine so you don't have to do everything step by step (as this is time consuming) just run a program nad you are good to go.
    CleanWipe is available from Symantec support.

Or you can script the removal process yourself.

• 6.  RE: Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Posted Mar 23, 2009 12:40 PM
    How do I contact Symantec Support to aquire cleanwipe?

• 7.  RE: Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Posted Mar 23, 2009 12:44 PM
    You are using SAV CE so i assume you have some support contract. If not you may try to conatct your reseller to obtain that.

You may call Symantec:
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_numbers.jsp?pid=51852

Or register your case online:
    https://mysupport.symantec.com/

• 8.  RE: Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Posted Apr 17, 2009 03:18 AM
    Basic steps to be followed are:
    1. Ping request from the client to server should get replies.
    2. Check for the tcp port number 2967.
    3. Check for the existence of root certs. in the client. It has to match with that on the server.
    4. Drop the GRC.DAT in the client from the server.

SAMEER

• 9.  RE: Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Posted Apr 20, 2009 10:18 PM

Run Cleanwipe or Nonav and you should be able to install SAV

• 10.  RE: Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Posted Apr 21, 2009 11:44 AM
    As per the entire discussion i would suggest you to log a call in Symantec TechSupport Team, cuz they have the best solution available

• 11.  RE: Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Posted Apr 21, 2009 12:46 PM

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/pfdocs/2001071809250248?Open&dtype=corp

• 12.  RE: Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Posted Apr 21, 2009 01:01 PM
     I understand the pain of working in the university (Been there done that) as lockdown on most resources wont be possbile. This also leads to high number of issues. Manual fixes are the way to go I guess.

• 13.  RE: Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Posted Apr 21, 2009 03:36 PM

Actually I also face this issue at our enviorement and logged a case with support but no luck,

Then after by doing following thing we can resolve the issue.

1. Run NoNav.exe

2. Delete all folder and files of Symantec from C:\Prog, C:\Documen and C:\prog\Common Files.

3. Delete registry entries of Symantec.

4. Restart System.

The above step resolve our issue.

• 14.  RE: Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Posted Apr 22, 2009 08:49 AM
    Run Cleanwipe or Norton removal tool and you should be able to install SAV I think

• 15.  RE: Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Posted Apr 22, 2009 09:10 AM
    Hi Samiron,

Cleanwipe will not work on SAV.

You have to run SCSCleanwipe or NoNav.exe to remove SAV.

• 16.  RE: Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Posted Apr 22, 2009 11:36 AM

Run cleanwipe or nonav utility to completely uninstall Symantec. Restart the server and then try to install. I think it will work.

• 17.  RE: Error 1920. Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec Antivirus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Posted Apr 22, 2009 11:37 AM
    If the above solution does not work it is advisable to contact Symantec Techsupport team for the solution.