Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Error 1972 "The current disk is not the first in the set" Please help

• 1.  Error 1972 "The current disk is not the first in the set" Please help

Posted Dec 16, 2010 12:12 PM

I'm trying to ghost an image from a DVD-R to a box. I'm using Ghost Solution Suite 2.5. I go to the Ghost boot wizard, use Windows PE, and burn the image to a DVD-R. Everything seems to work fine on that end.

Then I put the DVD into the box, go to local, then disk, the from image. I go to the CD drive and the image is there, I click on it and instead of burning the image like it usually does I get a box. At the top it reads: "Error accessing CD/DVD disk (1972)"

Then in the box it reads "The current disk is not the first in the set"

I've tried different CD's, DVD's, etc. always the same error.

Can anyone help??

• 2.  RE: Error 1972 "The current disk is not the first in the set" Please help

Posted Dec 16, 2010 04:41 PM

There's a lot of missing information. Define "Box" precisely. 

Is your CD/DVD using an IDE/ATA interface or a SATA interface?  When you put the DVD into the "Box", are you booting from it?  If you are booting, is it to WinPE?

In fact, the whole posting makes little sense. It appears you have put a DVD-R into an unspecified piece of hardware and burn an unspecified image to it. You then put this same DVD-R into an unspecified box and then try to burn (another?) image to it.  Clearly if there is already an image on this disk, then it cannot be the first disk in the set you are trying to create on this second machine.  So something is screwy in what you are writing, or in my interpretation of your posting. Feel free to clarify with some specifics added.

• 3.  RE: Error 1972 "The current disk is not the first in the set" Please help

Posted Dec 16, 2010 06:46 PM

Ok sorry, I will try to clear this up. I have a computer that has Symantec Ghost Suite 2.5 on it. I used the ghost boot wizard to creat a Windows PE boot disk using my cd/dvd drive.  I put the boot CD into another computer that I wiped and try to ghost it. When I try to pull the image from the boot disk i get the error:

"The current disk is not the first in the set"

I've tried three different CD's, two DVD's but am always getting the same error.

Does this help clarify or no?

• 4.  RE: Error 1972 "The current disk is not the first in the set" Please help

Posted Dec 17, 2010 05:21 AM

So you have created a WinPE boot disk on a DVD-R. Does this disk also contain the image you are trying to deploy?

What you might want to try is to copy the image to a USB device, use the boot disk to get WinPE up and running, and then point it at the USB device as the source of the image.

• 5.  RE: Error 1972 "The current disk is not the first in the set" Please help

Posted Dec 17, 2010 01:18 PM

Doesn't the image burn to it using the Ghost Boot Wizard?

• 6.  RE: Error 1972 "The current disk is not the first in the set" Please help

Posted Dec 17, 2010 01:19 PM

I can't use a USB because it's a secure system and no USB devices are allowed :(

I thought using the Ghost Boot Wizard I could burn the image to my DVD-R?

• 7.  RE: Error 1972 "The current disk is not the first in the set" Please help

Posted Dec 19, 2010 12:24 PM

Have a look at this previous thread:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/current-disk-not-first-set-error-1972

Does your "box" perhaps fall into the same category?

Does your "box" have a SATA optical device?  Does your DVD-R boot to DOS or WinPE?

• 8.  RE: Error 1972 "The current disk is not the first in the set" Please help

Posted Dec 20, 2010 02:20 PM

The ghost boot wizzard only makes a boot disk.   It doesn't include a system image that can be restored.   You have to boot from the boot disk and then you can create a GHO file that is an image of the machine that is booted.  You can then take the ghost boot disk and boot a second machine and restore the GHO file.   

You will have to find a location to store you GHO file on temoprarily.   This could be on the network or on a USB drive. (may not be an option for you but it is an option for the program).  If you make a DOS boot disk then you can burn the GHO file to CD or DVD and then take those cd's and the boot cd both to the second computer and restore them.  

Boot from the boot cd and then do a disk from image option.   Put in the disk one that was created not from the boot wizard but from the first machine that you booted up and created image cds from.   

The reason you are getting the error at this point is because the ghost boot cd that you are pointing to isn't a cd or dvd with a ghost image on it.   It is only a boot cd.

Hope that helps.

• 9.  RE: Error 1972 "The current disk is not the first in the set" Please help

Posted Dec 21, 2010 08:29 PM

That helps alot, how do I create the GHO file to make an image of my machine?

• 10.  RE: Error 1972 "The current disk is not the first in the set" Please help

Posted Dec 21, 2010 09:48 PM

Better yet how do I image my C drive with ghost? I'm new to all this

• 11.  RE: Error 1972 "The current disk is not the first in the set" Please help

Posted Dec 22, 2010 05:40 AM

Have you considered perusing the documentation?  That would be a good starting point for someone new to all this.

• 12.  RE: Error 1972 "The current disk is not the first in the set" Please help

Posted Dec 27, 2010 02:55 PM

Here is a article on using the network to take an image using the boot disk and ghost cast.  

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/readyhow-create-bootable-cddvd-tcpip-network-ghost-client-boot-image-and-connect-ghost-cons

here is the link to the tutorials that symantec made for the console.

http://www.symantec.com/themes/theme.jsp?themeid=ghost#

cheers.