Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Error 25058 - Not enough contiguous disk free space to load run

Posted May 22, 2012 05:10 PM

I have 10 identical laptops. I created an image from the first laptop, but when I try to load it to the next one (or even back to the one I used to create the image) I get the above error. Using the -NTEXACT switch as suggested appears to work, but then the computer will never boot up. I've recreated the image from scratch three times, and tried four different laptops to dump the image back to, but always the same error. I'm using IBM lenovo X220 tablets. I've ghosted dozens of Dells, never had this issue. I apologize in advance for I'm certainly going to get the wrong community, but none appear to be the correct one. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I've worked on this for months to no avail.

• 2.  RE: Error 25058 - Not enough contiguous disk free space to load run

Posted May 23, 2012 06:06 AM

Can we start by establishing what tool you are using for your imaging?  If it is Ghost Solution Suite then you are in the right place, and should consider trying with the -ib switch as Lenovo use a non standard boot sector.

If you are using the Norton Ghost retail product, then look in the sticky postings at the top of this forum, for the URL of the Norton Ghost community, which can help you with more relevant information. Although both product families share the same Ghost name, they are actually based on different technologies.

• 3.  RE: Error 25058 - Not enough contiguous disk free space to load run

Posted May 23, 2012 10:29 AM

I was so hopeful, but I'm still getting the same error. It simply says Symantec (not Norton) Ghost. It's version 11. Any other thoughts?

• 4.  RE: Error 25058 - Not enough contiguous disk free space to load run

Posted May 23, 2012 03:57 PM

If you have version 11, can I assume you are booting to DOS?  If so, you will not be able to see a SATA disk (standard fit in modern hardware) unless the bios provides a compatibility mode which forces the hard disk to emulate the older parallel ATA standard.

Most imaging environments now need to run under WinPE to support hardware that DOS cannot work with.

If you have not worked with WinPE before, a Do-it-Yourself guide can be found here:

Adventures with WinPE Symantec Connect

If you boot to DOS and can see the entire hard disk from the DOS prompt using DIR, etc, then that is not the issue.

Incidentally, are your tablets running a windows operating system?  A lot of tablets run Android, and you have not specified exactly which O/S you are working with.  If it happens to be Windows 7, there are two partitions that need to be imaged, and not one. Unless both are present, Windows 7 will not boot. The partition that is commonly missed is the small 100-200 Mb 'system' partition.

• 5.  RE: Error 25058 - Not enough contiguous disk free space to load run

Posted May 24, 2012 11:22 AM

I am booting to DOS. I can, however, ghost with a slightly older image. However, after I update the drivers, etc. and create another image, that image causes the error. They are running Windows 7. I actually have three partitions--I think the two standards plus the Lenovo rescue partition. I can see the entire hard drive from DOS. I'm still willing to try the WinPE, unless the fact that I can see the hard drive is indicative that 
    WinPE  won't work anyway. Is it? And thanks so much for the assistance. I really appreciate it.

• 6.  RE: Error 25058 - Not enough contiguous disk free space to load run

Posted May 24, 2012 11:35 AM

Being able to see the hard disk does not necessarily mean you can image it. After all, what you see is a directory listing which resides in a single location AFAIK, and the partitions should also be visible as the structure is pretty standard.

If you are changing the image and then finding problems, this could be due to the new content residing in a part of the disk that DOS cannot actually reach.  

What you could try is some cleaning up of the new image to get rid of temp files in user profiles and under C:\windows, as well as any other content that is not required in the build. Then run a defrag and try again.

Trying WinPE is something I would still advocate if this does not work.

• 7.  RE: Error 25058 - Not enough contiguous disk free space to load run

Posted Aug 17, 2012 12:05 PM

I ran into this issue by accident  with a re-image of a computer that had a CF card on the IDE and an SSD SATA drive.  We had a script that would always default to the 1 drive in the list; in this case it would be the CF card.  Trying to image the card (the target is the SSD) would result in the 25058 error.  After selecting the SSD, it would image fine.

• 8.  RE: Error 25058 - Not enough contiguous disk free space to load run

Posted Aug 28, 2012 05:54 PM

Hi, It looks like as though I have this error either.

Applicatio​n error 25058 unable to locate enough contiguous free space to load run.

I have created a backup via Symantic Ghost 11.0(Symantic Recovery Disc) for all my computer's external hard disk(686GB) which has four partitions C: OS, System, D: Factory Recovery and HP tools.( from the bootable Sysmantic Recovery Disc, I have chosen "Local" option. Then: 'Disk'. After that, I have chosen "to image". Next, I have been directed to choose the destination. Finally, I have chosen my external hard disk(1TB)

When  I have restored(recovered) my computer from this full Image, Ghost 11.0(1998-2000) showed me this error below,  although  the progress of restoration reached to 85%, and the current restoring partition was 3/4:

Application error 25058 unable to locate enough contiguous free space to load run.

Increase the destination partition size or run Ghost with- NTEXACT Switch.

--------------------------------------------------​-----------------

NOTE: when I have created the image, the C partition had about space of 550GB  used and 136GB free. However, when I have restored from Image, C partition had about space of 50GB used and 536GB free).

--------------------------------------------------​-----------------

Anyway, when the image failed to restore my computer, I have exited the Ghost and then my computer restart. However, this message showed me:

Windows boot Manager:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1- Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2- Choose your language settings, and then click "next"

3-Click repair your computer.

If you don't have this disc contact your System adminstrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

file:\Boot\BCD

Inf: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------

After I couldn't do anything, I have brought my Recovery Discs and put the first one in the driver and then pressed ESC to return to the window of  choosing booting devices. In that windows I have chosen 'boot' from Driver. Then computer booted from first disc. Finally, Recovery Manager's windows showed me.

I have followed the instructions on that Recovery Manager until I finished from preparing my Windows.

When my Windows started, I was quite surprised that:

*The D: Factory Recovery  has been removed and its space merged to C.

*I was when I restart my compute I press F11 to boot to Recovery Manager. However, now this  no longer works.

*I was when I set up 'Show hidden files and folders' from the "Folders Options", HP tools partition is shown in my computer because HP tools is originally a hidden partition. This no longer works now, although when I have run computer management, HP tools is shown.

--------------------------------------------------​-------------

NOTE: I have recovered my computer two times with using Factory Recovery partition, which was on D,  and Recovery Discs before I have tried restoring with image created by Ghost. In each time, I only went through one restarting of my computer and then I have come to 'preparation my computer for its first use".
    However, When I I have tried restoring my computer from Recovery Discs after the restoration failed during Ghost, my computer restarted several times(about 6 times) and in each time it restarted  and returned into a window with a title "Software installation". This window(This windows I didn't go thourgh it before.) continues about 30 minutes .Then  I have come to 'preparation my computer for its first use" 

I would quite highly appreciate your help.

• 9.  RE: Error 25058 - Not enough contiguous disk free space to load run

Posted Aug 29, 2012 09:29 AM

I did finally resolved this. I believe the turning point was when I replaced my sysprep.exe file with a copy of one that came from one of these specific computers. I thought that was what I had, but it may have been from a previous model. I don't know if this will help anyone else or not.